Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Worried about turnips

Central Iowa

Life Member
Wow, Sept 15 and we have a frost and I am worried about my turnips. I received a call from a friend in Monroe county as well worried about the frost and his turnips. I haven't had this problem in the three years I have utilized them and hoped ther was some more experienced plotters out there that can shed some light for us if this light frost will affect growth?

The brassica family is amazingly tolerant to frost. I think it will take a hard freeze to really put a dent in growth. Not much a person can do about it but wait and see how they come out. I hope (for the sake of those growing brassicas) that I'm right.

Just talked to Dbltree as well and he had the same answer. Thanks guys! If any of you out there do see negative affects from this frost please take some pictures and let us know.

My foodplot has a few spots where the turnips and brassicas are turning yellow. First year planting them so not sure if this is the norm or not. It's just in a few spots, the rest is still green.

[ QUOTE ]
My foodplot has a few spots where the turnips and brassicas are turning yellow. First year planting them so not sure if this is the norm or not. It's just in a few spots, the rest is still green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brassicas are subject to disease especially if planted in a wet area or remain wet from constant rainy weather.

They also cannot stand drought if planted on light sandy soils and subjected to very dry weather.

Takes a heap of very cold weather to make brassicas turn color so I suspect yours are from something else.

Top Bottom