Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Worst case

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
With CWD, sharp shooters, EHD, shed buck season, additional seasons and firearms, rising interest rates shrinking CRP contracts lower crop prices etc. and they all come down like a hammer... What sort of dent will this put in Rec ground values if any at all?

IMO: There won't be a sharp decrease in rec ground price if that's the question. Might even go up if people decide that the best way to have some control over what happens to the local deer population is to own the ground they live on?

It has always been a factor in my decision to buy a farm. I look for 50% or more tillable and/or CRP on all farms,just in case this happens, as at least the farm pays for itself. If you have all timber and CWD hits your immediate area, the values will take a hit (in my opinion). Plus I think 50/50 farms are the best anyway.

Rec ground will probably go up. The rural electric coops always saw a increase in cabin services when the stock market was high. CWD is a trojan horse. A DNR smoke screen. CWD isn't even in the ballpark with EHD.But hey the sun came up today.

My opinion.....
Rec ground 40% timber or more... is directly tied to economy (Dow jones going way up or down would be direct relation for example). Our local economy in Iowa does have impact as well but not as much as national economy.
Moderately related to grain prices but to a far less extent.
IF regs changed that made iowa like "other states"- our value would plummet. Same with massive cwd, deer herd loss & major degradation to mature bucks. Values would plummet. I can further explain my opinion on why but that's reality.

Other concerns with Rec ground, rising interest rates, lending regulations, etc.

If our deer herd is damaged by disease or liberal regulations- yes, Rec value will go down. More importantly - the regular hunter - which is pry 90% of hunters- will suffer the most. Not related to real estate prices but simply by a degradation of hunting quality.

How all u hard-core pheasant hunters of the 1980's and 1990's liking things? That whole Group of hunters who viewed Iowa as a pheasant hunting dream land.... that whole group and mindset & "economy" dissapeared 10-20 years ago. Could it come back?? Maybe????? Could deer follow the same path??? Geez- I hope not but with how many stupid regs and threats out there- it's absolutely possible.

The "pheasant" analogy is a big factor on which my opinion is based. Pheasant numbers are no doubt down pretty much everywhere but I've still got access to a couple hundred acres with populations that are way better than the state average. Reason is because I own those acres and try my best to manage them for pheasant (game) habitat. As it got tougher and tougher to gain access to ground with decent numbers, it became obvious to me that the price of rec ground was a price I would be willing to pay to be able to play the game. The deer also like the food plots, clover patches and tall warm season grasses so it's a win win. I don't own enough to have major control of the deer population/harvest/etc. but I've got more control than if I was hunting public or sharing permission ground with a bunch of others. The tougher hunting gets, the more some folks are going to be willing to pay for land. Others may choose to find new recreational activities.

The "pheasant" analogy is a big factor on which my opinion is based. Pheasant numbers are no doubt down pretty much everywhere but I've still got access to a couple hundred acres with populations that are way better than the state average. Reason is because I own those acres and try my best to manage them for pheasant (game) habitat. As it got tougher and tougher to gain access to ground with decent numbers, it became obvious to me that the price of rec ground was a price I would be willing to pay to be able to play the game. The deer also like the food plots, clover patches and tall warm season grasses so it's a win win. I don't own enough to have major control of the deer population/harvest/etc. but I've got more control than if I was hunting public or sharing permission ground with a bunch of others. The tougher hunting gets, the more some folks are going to be willing to pay for land. Others may choose to find new recreational activities.

Bingo. I think what will happen if deer go the way of the pheasant.... "10%" of guys that can and want to buy rec land will and realistically, all they will try and do is form an island to isolate themselves from all the bad regulations or bad choices that are implemented. They will continue to expand their farms buying up as much as they can to insulate or having like minded folks buy. They will essentially take all management & regulations into their own hands (legally) and not participate in the detrimental stuff. 90% of the rest who can't do this will suffer. Poster-child example for this, for folks who understand how bad other states are: Illinois. Illinois used to be one of the BEST states, LONG STORY SHORT: I'd call it "mediocre" at best now & the every day hunter has poor hunting or little/no access to anything decent. Unless you did what we know would happen..... You're a big timer from Chicago, drive out of town a few hours & you buy up 1,000 acres and say "Screw all this madness the legislatures have done, I'm doing it my way, everyone else is off this farm, I've had it and I'm going to create my own honey-hole".

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Top Bottom