Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Year One Habitat Improvement Plan

MilkweedManiac

Howdy Folks!

Attached you will see a picture of the "rough draft" plan I have concocted for our little piece of dirt. The property is 80 acres, but the picture shows about 45 acres that I will be devoting my attention to this year.

Some things I won't get to this year, but do want to leave room for are:

Fruit and Mast tree plantings | More switchgrass | Norway Spruce for thermal cover and overall landscape appeal | Shrubs and bushes that will add diversity to a very barren area.

Again, the picture is just a rough sketch that I did on my phone, so to clarify, all bean | corn plots are roughly 1 acre each, and clover mixes range from quarter to half acre. Switchgrass will be planted about 20 feet wide, and the Egyptian Wheat will also be that wide.

I need to close this property in and take some pressure off of the deer while giving myself some access. As it stands now, the deer can see you coming from about 200 yards away...it's pretty tough to hunt due to exposed access. That's why I'm planting the tall grasses. I read that it takes about 2-3 years for Switch to grow tall enough for screening, so I'll probably have to grow the E Wheat for a couple of years or I won't be able to sneak back there to hunt. My plan is to just walk through the middle of the Wheat, almost like a tunnel that will veer off depending on which blind/stand I am trying to hunt.

I would love to hear some feedback from those who are experienced with laying out ground for deer habitat.
56618191-B98A-4819-960C-F4412C55D388.jpeg

Is black your property lines? If so, are you identifying plots on the neighbors? Lots of other comments, but trying to understand more first.

Top Bottom