Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yet another food plot question????

Split_G3
there is a couple areas that i would like to plant food plots. only problems are they are in the deep woods and getting farm equipment to the areas is next to impossible. knowing that they make food plots that require no plow, what do you feel would be the best food plot that would take a good hold and which would be the best to try?

now i don't know what the soil content is or the ph of the soil is and i probably won't go to the trouble of finding out. last year i planted some biologic full draw that required no plow and it faired abou 50%, but i didn't clean the forrest floor as well as i probably should have, but i knew i wasn't going to get to hunt it much. so this coming year i am going to strip an acre of the forrest floor clear down to the dirt, except for the trees, and plant something, so what should it be?

Size of the plots will be important. Plots located within wooded areas don't usually get the sunlight that plots in the open do.

If ample sunlight is going to be a problem there are several varieties of clover that are pretty shade tolerant, just not sure if they are suited to those latitudes.

Some type of mix may be your best bet as mixes usually provide for the deers needs for several months out of the year and usually during high stress periods. If you don't come up with anything I will be glad to research it for you. It may come in handy for me somewhere down the road to be knowledgeable abot midwestern varieties anyway. I can tell you pretty much what you need to know about supplementl plantings in the SouthEastern states, but that won't do you much good. I'll be looking in to see what you find out.

This year we took a dozer and cleared about 1.5 acres on a ridge line for a foor plot. It worked great. I realize that the $$ for the dirt work was more than most are willing to spend, but it's definately worth it if you can swing it. This spring we are going to thin the trees along the edge to allow more sunlight in. One note, when the dozer cleared the ground, he pushed the trees and brush up around the plot to "funnel" the deer into and out of the plot. It's amazing how well it works. It did take a lot of lime to get the ph in line.

Top Bottom