Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

YETI Coolers

Scott

After becoming brainwashed on the Outdoor channel by ad after ad, I finally thought I should look into one of these coolers. $500+ are you kidding me?!!! For a cooler? Anyone got one of these, what am I missing?

I won a Yeti 45 at a NWTF banquet. Its nice but I would never buy one for my current needs. If a person was doing serious camping or something it would be nice. Hauling beer around is not practical. I do like that it doesn't sweat in my backseat.

I have a buddy that purchases pretty much everything all year on his cabelas credit card. He's used his rewards points at the end of the year a couple times to purchase a couple yeti's.

Check out the grizzly coolers. Little better price point and made here in Decorah. I have 2 of them and all my buddies have them. Worth every penny IMO. I can put you in touch with a couple guys that carry them locally.

I have the 35 quart one...I feel it is overrated as far as ice retention, but will last forever as long as a meth head doesn't grab it out of the truck. That one only holds 14 or 15 bottles, so obviously I don't need ice for days :). I bought it to put on the back of a kayak for extended, multiple day river trips (yet to use it for that). I also have a larger Pelican 65 quart cooler that is lights out better in holding ice. The only problem is the thing weighs 50 pounds empty. It is pretty much only used on big out-of-state trips. You can find them at Amazon or Costco for 220-ish.

I must be in the minority, but why does everyone need something on ice at all times? My cheap Coleman and styrofoam coolers do just fine from time to time.

I agree, I have never got how coolers and the hunting industry every got mixed together, but whatever.

I need to now come up with a "super" thermos and please no one steal my idea!

From everything I've read online the only people that praised the yetis were offshore fisherman and people hunting/camping out west that needed something durable and to keep ice but now that grizzly and pelican have market share people aren't as high on their yetis.

I have several Grizzly coolers of my own and sell them in the shop as well. Basically same thing as a Yeti but cost a lot less and not only made in the USA but made right here in IOWA! Sure is nice to go camping for a week and never have to worry about buying any ice. I have a small lunchbox size one that keeps my lunch and drinks ice cold even being in the pickup in the full hot sun all day while out planting or spraying, definitely works better than any cooler I have ever used. For a day trip out boating or something it isn't worth it but for extended trips or deep backcountry hunting, I think they are definitely worth it.

I have several Grizzly coolers of my own and sell them in the shop as well. Basically same thing as a Yeti but cost a lot less and not only made in the USA but made right here in IOWA! Sure is nice to go camping for a week and never have to worry about buying any ice. I have a small lunchbox size one that keeps my lunch and drinks ice cold even being in the pickup in the full hot sun all day while out planting or spraying, definitely works better than any cooler I have ever used. For a day trip out boating or something it isn't worth it but for extended trips or deep backcountry hunting, I think they are definitely worth it.

I second what Boyd said and have Grizzly as well and couldn't be happier. Ice isn't cheap and can be a pain to get depending on the situation. Coolers always seem to be at the bottom of a bunch of gear in a vehicle, etc. Another good feature is if it's loaded down with quartered meat etc. it's not completely flooded with water by the time you get home to package it. Bottom line mine has paid for itself in ice savings and the frustrations of finding ice, restocking with ice and draining is just a bonus but I use mine quite a bit.

Top Bottom