Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your Favorite Knife

I like my Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger
I own two of them and never use them. I bought one and somehow acquired the other from a college roommate (circa 1984). I might sell them.

I don't like the shape of the knife. I want a very long slender blade that is able to "reach in" and cut the anal canal free so that it can be pulled back into the body cavity while field dressing. I'm not an advocate of splitting the pelvis to accomplish this feat.

I don't like the shape of the knife. I want a very long slender blade that is able to "reach in" and cut the anal canal free so that it can be pulled back into the body cavity while field dressing. I'm not an advocate of splitting the pelvis to accomplish this feat.

Funny, that is exactly why I like the sharp finger. The point curves up and I think I can cut around the butt eaiser because with the curve more of the blade comes in contact not just the tip of the point. I also don't like to split the pelvis but if I did the sharp finger would be a bit wimpy for this.

The 'Bonker

Shovelbuck, i dont use the gut hook either, i've tried it in the past and found it easier just to use the knife.

The best knives on the market have to be the GINSU!!!

They cut through SHOES and even MARBLE BLOCKS!!! Saw it on tv a while ago at about 3:00 am. Has to be the best!

The best knives on the market have to be the GINSU!!!

They cut through SHOES and even MARBLE BLOCKS!!! Saw it on tv a while ago at about 3:00 am. Has to be the best!

Don't forget they also cut through "aluminum" pop cans! :way:

Benchmade Rukus. Pretty pricey but the steel is unreal. Had it for 2+ seasons and close to a dozen deer. I'll let you know when it needs sharpened.

I own alot of knives and my favorite is the hunter series from knives of alaska! Awesome knife kinda spendy but worth the money IMO!

Posted by blake........................

This is my hunting knife, a Buck Kalinga. This knife has skinned many a deer over the years. It holds an edge well and it isn’t all that hard to get a nice sharp shaving edge on it.

It is not however my overall favorite knife, I will post a photo of it later.

Well Ron...........where's the pic of your favorite?:D:D:D

While we wait for Ron's photo, anybody else want to add to this great list we've compiled thus far?

This skinning knife was made for me by a good friend and co-worker. He really is very talented with all aspects of blacksmithing. I love the "clouds" in the blade on this one. Its almost too pretty to use but I do anyway. He even made the sheath and used some antler that I gave him. It is very sharp and fits my hand perfect for skinning. :way:

picture.php

I have several knives I use off and on. I do carry a fixed blade Gerber in the console of the truck though. Have a caping knife from Knives of Alaska, and a custom Damascus Bowie from Anderson Forge. Took apart a buffler with that one once!!! Bought a skinning knife from my LEM catalog, yeller handle....pretty handy knife, easy to sharpen!! Cape alot of skulls out for euro mounts, use a $5 paring knife most of the time....scary shavin sharp!!!

My Favorite knife

When I posted a photo in this thread of my Buck Kalinga working hunting knife I promised that I would a post a photo of my favorite knife, and here it is.

picture.php

<O:p</O:p
picture.php

Once again, my friend Shovelbuck has been more than kind to me. He handcrafted this knife out of caribou antler and a deer leg bone.

I doubt that I will ever use this knife in the field, but I will say it is sharp enough to skin a deer.

Shovelbuck presented me this wonderful gift as a birthday present. I shall not forget his kindness.
Thank You Jay. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom