Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your "Go To" Turkey Call

Iowabowtech

Not saying there's a silver bullet, different situations call for different measures but when the chips are down and you really want to make your best calls what do you pick up?

Custom Bully's slate for me. Bloodwood with hickory striker:

picture.php

picture.php

I love my HS Strut Cutt'n 2.5 and Raspy Old Hen for just about everything. Called in a nice 3 yr old Merriams from over close to a mile up canyon 2 years ago with my Cutt'n 2.5! Called in a beautiful south Texas Rio from behind me (never gobbled) with one 3 years ago, but he ducked right as I pulled the trigger and he ran like hell.

Mouth calls are to bomb, but i simply cannot go to the woods of slates, boxes, and a few diaphrams..... when im sitting and calling, I will use the slate, running and gunning I like a good box, and I use a mouth call when the turk is comin, or might be able to see me....

I like having a bunch!
:D

Primos stacked double diaphram call. It can be soft or very loud; make yelps, cuts or soft purrs to finish...whatever. I sometimes wonder why I even bother carrying the others.

NWBuck

I have a self made Slate over Glass, Zebrawood that is my baby. Have called in more birds with that thing than I can count. Will mix up the strikers on her sometimes with Purple Heart being my first choice, followed by hickory.

Kratz

I like almost all of the HS stuff. My personal favorate to date is the "tech 3" diaphram, and I bought the Ring zone last year in the slate and glass flavor, they are decent too, but if I had to run to the woods with one and onlly call, it would be the diaphram.

I just can't get any of the primos stuff to sound good, but that is my own personal prefrence...

Any Diaphram call works well for me, but for a real quiet tree yelp or soft language, I like the Primos Crystal freak.

Just bought a Southland cherry crystal pot today. It might make the top of the list with a little more practice. Yelps are to die for. I see why a lot of the pros use the crystals.

I have two I always have with me Woodheaven slate and crystal and about five or six strikers.

I don't know what brand it is or what it is even supposed to be called but "Old Nasty" brings them in every time. It is a slate call. Outside of that, I would say my cody slate woodsmen series and HS black Widow has called in a lot of birds before Old Nasty.

I will say that I have never quite gotten the hang of mouth calling or I should say I never had the time to really practice much. It seems like I could never find a good one to fit without wanting to throw up. This year I decided I was going to change that. I drive approximately 600-1000 miles a week and I can't talk on my cell phone so I figured this is the perfect time to practice. I researched all the calls I could and decided on the Woodhaven Classic V3. That call is by far the best mouth call I have ever had and could run. I like it so much, I just ordered 3 more and hoping they will be here soon!!!!!

LIV,

If you can make a decent sound out of one mouth call, my experience is that you can pretty much make a "decent" sound out of any of them. Having said that, I really do believe a person needs to spend a little time and money finding the one type/brand that best fits their pallet. For me, it's the Primos brand. I have others in my vest, but all need some trimming and shaping to be right. I can take most any Primos brand out of the package and it fits perfectly. A perfect fit is the first step to a beautiful sound. Good luck.

NWBuck

I hear yah NWbuck,

I always felt like I could call "descent" with other calls but never felt I could call good enough to risk a turkey hunt on. This one I actually think I sound good which is a big confidence booster. I always gagged on the others. I also have 3 other woodhaven mouth calls and I can't even make a peep out of them. It is very strange. I will have to try out the Primos brand calls.

The only thing I don't like about the mouth call though is I like to get aggressive with it. It so fun to do some fast paced clucking, cutting and yelping. I have learned from hunting primarily public land is that all you need is some purrs and clucks to kill birds. I don't know if I could resist with a mouth call :)

I have a couple of VECtor's that I like alot with the slate being my favorite. Use a ton of different strikers, but a VECtor dyamond wood on slate is hard to beat. Also, I use a variety of Woodhaven Diaphrams. Once I learned how to run a mouth call, I started using them a ton. I call more with a mouth call now than anything.

I have a couple of VECtor's that I like alot with the slate being my favorite. Use a ton of different strikers, but a VECtor dyamond wood on slate is hard to beat. Also, I use a variety of Woodhaven Diaphrams. Once I learned how to run a mouth call, I started using them a ton. I call more with a mouth call now than anything.

Woodhaven Copperhead.. I like the Classic V3's as well but love the out of the package crispness and quality of the Copperhead.

Top Bottom