Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth load for savage ML10-ll

Anyone have a good load with low recoil for a small kid? I'm shooting 57 grains of VV120 with 300 grain bullet in mine. Way to much punch for my daughter. I'm planning to set my spare gun up for her. Prolly a max range of 100-120 yards depending on how well she does practicing. Thanks guys

50 grain pellet or equivilent. Almost no recoil and deadly out to 100 yards. I use 250 grain Barnes bullets, but many others will probably be fine. My daughter has three deer in three shots with this load out to 75 yards. She started with this load at 9 yrs old and is a small girl, like the smallest in her class. She did need shooting sticks (tripod version is best) or a gun rail on a ladder stand up until this year (12 now). She can shoot off hand now, but not very far accurately. We will still have a rest for her this year for sure.

My normal (favorite) load is 42.5 grains of IMR SR4759 behind a 250 grain XTP, which the Savage ML10-II owners manual says 43 grains gets the bullet going 2,330 fps. You should be able to back down into the 30 grain area with no problem. I found this a much more pleasant load than VV120, and prefer SR4759 over AA5744.

Top Bottom