Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth muzzleloaders

Jethro

I am in the market for buying my kids a youth muzzleloader and was curious if you all were fimilar with Rossi brand muzzleloaders. I like the .45 in the link below but I'm just not familiar with the Rossi brand. Any of you had any experiance with them? I'm open to suggestions on other makes and models as well.
smirk.gif

http://rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S45YBM&category=MUZZLELOADER

My kids have the 22. cal 20 gauge combo. They really like it even though that 20 gauge bites a little bit.
smirk.gif
It seems like a simple, well made gun. I was waiting to get the 45 barrel for it but there barrel program isn't up yet, they say. How much is the 45 by itself??

Jethro,

My kids have a couple of the Rossi shotgun/rifle combos and I really think they are a good "bang for the buck".

Here is a link to a little hunter that just loves his Rossi Muzzle Loader.

Be warned, it may take a bit to load, it is a long post with lots of pictures.

Ty Wever

Boyd at Buckhollow Sports can hook you up with about anything you want. He is very competitive on price and will order you anything you want.

He is a great guy and located in Pella, Iowa.....he farms too, so he may be in the field.

Here is his contact info....

Boyd

I found the perfect excuse for me to get a new encore and to equip my son as well.I took my trusty knight MK-85 ( most any muzzleloader should work) and cut approx 2 1/2 inches off the stock.I then load it with 80-100 grains of triple 7 and a 200-300 grain shockwave bullet.My son started shooting this when he was 5 years old and has since taken 3 does and 2 bucks (see character counts under 2005 trophies).Obviously the lighter bullet kicks less and we actually started using the 200 grain bullet with 65 grains of triple 7. We worked our way up from there.On a side note the knight came standard with a good recoil pad but i cant say enough on how great the sims recoil pads work. Good luck!

Plotman you beat me to it. Why not get him a different butt stock for say a Omega or Encore if you know it is something he is going to like.

My son has harvested two deer with his 45 caliber youth rossi.His first deer was taken when he was seven and I would recomend this gun highly for young kids. I paid $145 for it a couple of years ago.Good luck and way to go getting those kids out there.

That is exactly the combo my yougest son has. He has taken several does over the past couple of years. Check out the harvest forum for his latest kill with the little Rossi.

Updating - I've been looking for a muzzleloader for my 6 year old and I'm having a very tough time locating a Rossi ... has anyone grown out of theirs and looking to sell?

new england firearms also has interchangeable barrels for their guns, and would make a good starter gun. the only drawback, is you have to send the reciever back to the company when you get a new barrel, so it will be sure to fit the gun. not a bit deal, and with shipping, its still a bargin

Onecam, have you looked at the CVA .45 cals? They are very reasonable priced, and to me they have a much shorter stock on them than most muzzleloaders.

I did look at the CVA wolf today - it was nice but I'm looking for something a bit smaller for him. I'm considering cutting down the stock on my Knight Vision for him ... any opinions?

if you were to go with a NEF huntsman, their stocks are pretty cheap, it would be easy to get an extra to chop. the NEF forums probalby has some in their classifieds. not sure if its available in .45 though

I did look at the CVA wolf today - it was nice but I'm looking for something a bit smaller for him. I'm considering cutting down the stock on my Knight Vision for him ... any opinions?

Wish I would have known that last weekend, cabela's at Omaha has a knight stock in their bargin cave. :grin:

My boy who is nine but very small framed shot a buck last fall with my Knight revolution. We started with 50 grains of powder than went to 100 for hunting he loves it. I am looking to get a smaller one for my 6 year old so he can hunt this fall.

My kid has a Rossi I bought new for him. Shoots awesome and very accurate. Built for smaller, shorter armed shooters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom