Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth tag question

blakesburg

PMA Member
Just checking to see if I understand correctly, that a youth can fill their tag during early muzzy, shotgun, or late muzzy?

They can't use it for bow season and they are supposed to pick one season and that's it. It isn't intended to be an open ended hunt until you fill it tag.

They can't use it for bow season and they are supposed to pick one season and that's it. It isn't intended to be an open ended hunt until you fill it tag.

Per a discussion with a DNR officer as we had the same question, he stated that the printed regulations were incorrect as there is an AND/OR mixup. He said, "a youth tag is good for youth season, early OR late muzzleloader, AND one of the shotgun seasons, where the regs would indicate youth season, early OR late muzzleloader, OR one of the two gun seasons." You do not have to pick just one gun season. You have 3 to choose from, including youth season.

Granted, this is just a he said/she said deal, but the officer I spoke with said that the regulations booklet is incorrect. I suggest calling your own DNR officer to confirm. We did not ask about archery. However, the regulations say that during youth season, they may use a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader. However, there is no mention of archery season in the unfilled tag section below it, so I would imagine a youth tag is not good for the general archery season.

Last edited:
Per a discussion with a DNR officer as we had the same question, he stated that the printed regulations were incorrect as there is an AND/OR mixup. He said, "a youth tag is good for youth season, early OR late muzzleloader, AND one of the shotgun seasons, where the regs would indicate youth season, early OR late muzzleloader, OR one of the two gun seasons." You do not have to pick just one gun season. You have 3 to choose from, including youth season.

Granted, this is just a he said/she said deal, but the officer I spoke with said that the regulations booklet is incorrect. I suggest calling your own DNR officer to confirm. We did not ask about archery. However, the regulations say that during youth season, they may use a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader. However, there is no mention of archery season in the unfilled tag section below it, so I would imagine a youth tag is not good for the general archery season.

Wow. First of all, I am not questioning what you were told Shadow, it's just that one of the things that concerns/annoys me is that different CO's have radically different interpretations AND enforcement patterns on certain game laws. Now the printed regulation is wrong too??? :D It's funny if it isn't sad.

No wonder the general population gets confused on these things. Laws really shouldn't be up to the interpretation of the law enforcement officers in my book...nor should the printed word on the matter be wrong.

Wow. First of all, I am not questioning what you were told Shadow, it's just that one of the things that concerns/annoys me is that different CO's have radically different interpretations AND enforcement patterns on certain game laws. Now the printed regulation is wrong too??? :D It's funny if it isn't sad.

No wonder the general population gets confused on these things. Laws really shouldn't be up to the interpretation of the law enforcement officers in my book...nor should the printed word on the matter be wrong.

If it truly is the case from my discussion with the CO, I don't understand why they would not issue a statement on the webpage at least. Just saying what I was told, and I don't have any reason to believe otherwise. I don't think it was an interpretation, he read it right from his big regulation book.

One other think that irks me is that they have a big regulation book, and we just have the overview.

Last edited:
I called my CO this year to clarify my question if my son did not tag out during youth season, but did during early ML, could he then still be eligible for a paid tag for shotgun. I was told yes he could. The youth tag is a bonus tag and is good to be used during youth season, Early ML, Shotgun 1 or 2 or Late ML. He could hunt all seasons until filled following each season guidelines and rules and also having to be accompanied by a licensed adult.

Yeah Shadow your right. It's worded wrong in the book. Thought that was dumb because how would they know which seasons you went. It's a good for all except bow tag.

I don't get why it's not good for archery season if it's good for all the other.

My buddy has a son who did not like gun hunting and only wanted to archery hunt. He hunted youth season with a bow and then the unfilled tag was no good for him. He would have hunted longer had the tag been good for archery season.

He's started college now and unfortunately doesn't hunt anymore. He never did kill a deer. You want the youths to get hooked on hunting you gotta give them plenty of chances to kill a deer.

Ya know, I know trying to get youth hooked on hunting they pry should get a deer. But what happened to if you dont get one, thats a part of hunting too??

I don't get why it's not good for archery season if it's good for all the other.

My buddy has a son who did not like gun hunting and only wanted to archery hunt. He hunted youth season with a bow and then the unfilled tag was no good for him. He would have hunted longer had the tag been good for archery season.

He's started college now and unfortunately doesn't hunt anymore. He never did kill a deer. You want the youths to get hooked on hunting you gotta give them plenty of chances to kill a deer.

I agree they should be able to bow hunt with an unused youth tag.....BUT if it is that big a deal buy the kid an archery tag!

The thing that floors me is, you're telling me it's more ethical to take a kid out driving during shotgun season, but not teaching them how to hunt during bow season. I've never understood this rule and never will I...

The thing that floors me is, you're telling me it's more ethical to take a kid out driving during shotgun season, but not teaching them how to hunt during bow season. I've never understood this rule and never will I...

Where does it say that a youth must be taken on deer drives in the shotgun seasons? I missed that.

Or that a youth cannot buy a regular bow tag?

Youth today have many, many more options and special seasons than ever before. It is not as if the DNR is holding them down or something, if anything, it is the opposite. About the only thing left is to make the youth tag good from September to January, any weapon, any time, etc, with "do overs" in February in case they miss one. And yet people gripe about it as though there is a big problem.

Top Bottom