Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youths First Bird

jkratz5

One of the things that I enjoy more than harvesting a turkey is taking others out and putting them on birds, especially their first bird. This spring my buddy and I took his 13 year old nephew out on his first turkey hunt and I have to admit the kid got a bit spoiled.

The night before we were going to hunt, I did a little drive around several of my properties, and spotted several gobblers working open fields. One of the birds was heading toward a roost area late in the evening so I made the decision that we would head to that farm in the morning.

The next morning we made our way to what I thought would be 200yds or so from the birds and got the Avian dekes setup in a secluded pocket of a cut corn field. As the morning awoke we were treated with several gobblers sounding off, one of which was exactly where I hoped he would be. He continued to gobble off and on to the owls and crows for about 20 minutes and finally I decided to hit some love notes. Every time I touched the call, the closest gobbler would scream. I was pretty sure we were in business and when the bird flew down I knew it was just a matter of time before he showed up as he continued to sound off every time I purred and I could tell he was slowly working our way. About 10 minutes after flying down he hit the field edge and put on an awesome show for us. He slowly strutted across the field toward the Avian X Jake and would let out the occasional gobble on his way. He continued his dance, spitting and drumming across the field until he was abou 15 yards from us. I whispered to Spencer that I was going to get him to come out of strut and pop his head and when I do to smoke him. I let out a few loud yelps and as soon as the bird popped his head, Spencer let the Beretta bark and he had his first Gobbler down. He ran out to see his bird and was pumped up at what had just happened. I asked him what he thought and he said "that was pretty easy". I chuckled as we couldn't have written it up any better and told him not to get use to that. Congrats Spencer on your first bird, looking forward to being there for many more to come.

Kratz

Last edited:
Top Bottom