Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zink Avian X LCD Jake Turkey Decoy

Reit38

i been looking at getting the LCD Jake for awhile to replace my old decoy i use. how well do they hold up to the abuse. i really like the idea of them being collapsible but wasnt really sure on the abuse they can take. obviously if they take a BB they are done for but i bowhunt only so thats not an issue.
can they withstand a beating from a big old tome

I have had one for 2 seasons now and hold up very well! I wouldn't really call them collapsible, they come with a bag and are very easy to carry, but not going to fit in your vest. Many times it's the only decoy I use! So I'd say they are worth every penny!

Avian is a great decoy. I am on my 3rd year running one. Very durable and just as realistic as the other high end dekes out there (I have had that thing beat up over a handful of times in the last 2+ hunting seasons, including a severe beat down this week in kansas). It collapses flat and I strap 3 on my pack for minimal bulk, they carry very easy.

I have actually had mine shot twice and it still holds air just fine. Last year I had a yote come in and bite the head of one of my hens and that did puncture her. Called zink for some pointers on how to repair it, and they replaced her for free. Hard to beat that customer service.

If I didn't care so much about the bulk I may get the DSD jake but the collapsibility of the Zink sold it for me

Kratz

i been looking at getting the LCD Jake for awhile to replace my old decoy i use. how well do they hold up to the abuse. i really like the idea of them being collapsible but wasnt really sure on the abuse they can take. obviously if they take a BB they are done for but i bowhunt only so thats not an issue.
can they withstand a beating from a big old tome

I will vow that the new LCD hens they just put out are pretty awesome and I own the breeder, however when it comes to the jake decoy it doesn't compare to the Dave Smith or Dakota decoy. I personally could care less for the "collapsible" part, as the carry bag thrown over your shoulder works much better. I do a lot of moving on birds and fast set ups and deflating and airing up the decoy every time just doesn't work. Plus I found that once you start opening and closer the valve stem seems to be more inclined to open up on you unexpectedly. I also own the dakota jake and if you look around you can find them on sale for 59.00 which is a steal (scheels in Des Moines, and online)

I have the DSD's and I have a buddy who has a Zink. IMO they are awkward as hell and I had a heck of a time getting it to set normal in the ground with the stake. Very top heavy. Too high maintenance for my liking.

The DSD jake is the best decoy I've ever used. I've used it 4 times this year and have had 4 adult toms come into him. 2 of them died while on top of him

Last edited:
The Avians are good decoys but I would at least get a Dave Smith jake. I was trying to figure out how many longbeards have fallen to my DSD jake and we're coming up with a little over 30 in 5 years. 90% bow kills. Its a killer. A buddy borrowed it fri and sat and they killed 4 birds all bow kills.

You can't beat DSD jake. I don't know what it is about them but they are worth every penny! I have shot 13 toms in three years over it with my bow!

Has anyone had anything negative happen with the DSD jake? Does anyone use movement with them? The pretty boy has scared a few away but know that it can happen with any deke. The DSD might be the ticket for getting my kids a bird!

Has anyone had anything negative happen with the DSD jake? Does anyone use movement with them? The pretty boy has scared a few away but know that it can happen with any deke. The DSD might be the ticket for getting my kids a bird!

I have every turkey decoy Dave makes and the DSD Jake would be my go to if I could just have one decoy. Mine has been shot with an arrow, gun, pecked, humped just about everything you can imagine it has endured and it still looks like new. I bought mine in 2010 or 11 and I can tell you it was a game changer. Have had birds skirt it but not many and the ones that did were in shotgun range and many in bow range but its head, neck or nothing anymore for me and that jake helps me get it done.

I ended up ordering the LCD quarter strut jake from dicks for 86 shipped the other day. Suppose to be here friday

Thanks Limb. I'm still hauling around your PB flock that I bought a few years ago.

One more question...if only using one DSD hen with DSD jake, which one? Feeding, upright or submissive? I like the looks of the feeding hen. They all must work as several videos have different combinations.

I ended up ordering the LCD quarter strut jake from dicks for 86 shipped the other day. Suppose to be here friday

You won't be disappointed, guarantee that deke brings more birds closer to your setup than ever before. Haven't shot a bird over 20yds in a long time. Have fun and post some photos

Kratz

I use a DSD jake with avian hens to save a little money. As soon as they see that jake it's usually a sprint to it. I still have a Tom or two hang up or skirt it each year but it usually does the trick.

DSD all the way! I pack in my double bull blind, bow and three DSD worth every step next year it will be four DSD. Don't give me the BS that they are to hard to pack in :rolleyes:

Thanks Limb. I'm still hauling around your PB flock that I bought a few years ago.

One more question...if only using one DSD hen with DSD jake, which one? Feeding, upright or submissive? I like the looks of the feeding hen. They all must work as several videos have different combinations.

I personally like the leading hen, followed by upright and then feeding for last.

They all look good though!!

982-_545620.jpg

982-_642477.jpg

982-_929369.jpg

982-_765419.jpg

982-_59717.jpg

982-_333040.jpg

Thanks Limb. I'm still hauling around your PB flock that I bought a few years ago. One more question...if only using one DSD hen with DSD jake, which one? Feeding, upright or submissive? I like the looks of the feeding hen. They all must work as several videos have different combinations.

Nice!

If it were me it would probably be the upright hen. You can sit her on the ground to look like a breeder or stake her up. The submissive is ok but she's lost later in the year when everything grows up. The feeder and leader are nice two but if I were limited to two those would be my choice.

Top Bottom