Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 5 public land

mb1

I'm new to the forum. I'm planning to hunt public land. I'm ashamed to say but a buddy had me a farm lined up to hunt and it was in zone 4 near Bedford. I applied for zone 5. I had in my head that he said zone 5. After applying I was looking a zone map and realized I had screwed up. I'll be hunting alone. Any recommendations for public land would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FYI, a lot of residents do not know where the zone boundaries are for the NR zones. (I don't know for instance zone 4 or zone 5. :))

You may have more luck getting some suggestion if you fill in the blanks a little more on where you will be hunting.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
:D:D:D We live in Iowa !! Apparently none of us know where zone 5 is!!!:D:D That is friggen hilarious!!!!!!!! :D:D I got to admit! I don't either!!!!!! :thrwrck: I'd just go ahead and hunt where ever you want and tell the DNR nobody from Iowa knew where zone 5 was!!!!!! :way::way::D

zone 5

Thanks guys for the info. I've not decided which county yet but here is some of the counties in zone 5, Decatur, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Wayne, Appanoose, Davis, Warello.

That is funny Crockett, I don't know where in the hell zone 5 is either. I do know that I am in #3 though.

All of the big timbers down there have big deer and relatively low pressure during bow season. They are a bit harder to hunt than some of the smaller timbers, ditches but it is pretty good hunting. It is kind of a shot in the dark walking in blind but after a couple sits you will be able to start figuring out how the move through them.

Thats funny, I thought I was the only one who doesnt know where the zones are. Everytime someone mentions a "zone" here in Iowa, I have to log onto the DNR website to see where that is!

Get in touch with me and I will help you out. I would and will hope to have the same opportunity when I travel out of state. Packnasty looks to be from zone 5 and I'm guessing he could put you on some great deer too! Good luck, you will not only leave loving the deer hunting, but loving the people too.

:d:d:d we live in iowa !! Apparently none of us know where zone 5 is!!!:d:d that is friggen hilarious!!!!!!!! :d:d i got to admit! I don't either!!!!!! :thrwrck: I'd just go ahead and hunt where ever you want and tell the dnr nobody from iowa knew where zone 5 was!!!!!! :way::way::d

yeah!!!!!!!!

Thats funny, I thought I was the only one who doesnt know where the zones are. Everytime someone mentions a "zone" here in Iowa, I have to log onto the DNR website to see where that is!
I'm in NR zone 7, but for any other zone, I have to log in to look at the map as well.

sure shot that is the nicest thing about this site....i dont go to z5 and go to another one and i have to say that a couple guys from in here made my trips to Iowa awesome...i really appreciate your attitude.....if your ever looking to come up to north wis bear hunting...i do a little guiding for bear...i will definately help you out...

Thanks guys for the info. I've not decided which county yet but here is some of the counties in zone 5, Decatur, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Wayne, Appanoose, Davis, Warello.

Davis is not in zone 5. I hunt Davis and I know it's zone 6 from past experience of NR buddies coming to hunt with me. I think the Davis/Wapello county line is what seperates zone 5 and 6. I don't know much about those other counties other than I have a friend of a friend that has a farm in Decatur and they seem to do well. Good luck this fall which ever county you end up in

Davis county is in Zone 5. Everything West of Hwy 63 is in zone 5. I primarily hunted Davis and appanoose when I lived down there. Both zones had great public hunting opportunities.
982-nr_zones.png

Hi Tommy, The zone map on the Iowa DNR website shows Hwy 63 as the line of zone 5 and 6 so the western part of Davis county is in zone 5 but it is less than half the county.
Thanks guys for all the info and it will be a pleasure to visit your great state in Nov!

Top Bottom