Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 9 Public Land

mnhunter82

I have 2 preference points now. I am looking at trying to draw a license next year for archery and hunt zone 9 around the Lansing area.
Does anyone have any information on the public land around the area? Is there a lot of pressure on the public land?
I'm thinking of hunting Oct. 22-26 and Nov.2-9. Would these typically be good times to be in the stand?
I'm thinking about maybe coming down there maybe beginning of March sometime to do some shed hunting and to do a little scouting since trails should still be pretty fresh from the winter and last fall.
Just starting to do some research. I have never bow hunted Iowa before. Thanks for any help

I don't know much about that zone/area. Are you close to that area? If so try to knock on doors and ask permission. Tell them the situation that it's archery only and you won't be back for three years or more.

Friend of mine from MN....did that he had a good farm to hunt in his first try. That was zone 4.

Don't know any specifics about that zone but you should definitely scout it out if you're confident you can draw a tag there. In my experience public gets hunted a lot, but not a lot by guys who pour a lot of time into scouting, running cams and hunting the right winds. Walk a long ways from the parking lots, check out the small parcels and try to find bottlenecks where multiple trails converge. The hunting atlas online is awesome compared to other states that I've seen. If I was you I'd block off two weeks around November instead of hunting mid-late October! Good luck!

There is alot of pressure. Especially starting Nov 1. Most guys I know see their best action prior to that time. It will be pretty quiet early, but close to the river is a bit different too, pressure is worse. If you don't mind people messing around go after Nov 1. Squirrel hunters and duck hunters are busy too. Lots of Hmung squirrel hunters nowadays. Private isn't impossible but it is very tough. Usually if you can get in anyone can, and can drive anywhere so that hurts too. Leasing is not cheap around that area either. Plenty of deer get killed on public though.

Ive never hunted that particular area but in general the public land ive been on in Iowa is really busy with people in the fall. I would recommend hunting late muzz for your best chance of harvesting a big deer, and there is very little pressure during that season. Also the DNR plants food plots of corn and beans on a lot of public properties which is great for late muzz. I know it's hard to wait that long, but in my experience late season offers the best opportunity for encounters with mature deer.

lots of hills and tough area, not sure where you live or seen the area but good luck not from around there but we camp in the area during the summer

If it were me I'd scout multiple pieces. Every year is different as far as pressure. That piece is good so I would start there. Clear Creek or French Creek would be the next closest two. I literally talked to a guy a few days ago that shot a mid 60s 9pt with his crossbow in that piece late november. He said the pressure wasn't bad at all in there.

Come down and scout a couple places so you've got options. Good luck

If it were me I'd scout multiple pieces. Every year is different as far as pressure. That piece is good so I would start there. Clear Creek or French Creek would be the next closest two. I literally talked to a guy a few days ago that shot a mid 60s 9pt with his crossbow in that piece late november. He said the pressure wasn't bad at all in there.

Come down and scout a couple places so you've got options. Good luck

The pressure does for sure drop off after the second week of November. Not a ton of cars parked around the lots by then. I suppose most people vacation is up by that point. Also weekdays can be better for sure. There is alot of public land around, I agree don't put all your eggs in one basket. I would pass on public hunting for late muzzy myself. Pressure during gun 1 is crazy and steady thru gun 2. Unless it's 3' of snow and 0 degrees it will be tough to get a giant on his feet during the daylight. Take your chances during the rut, you will have more people but better chances.

Top Bottom