Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

zone4

Hi y'all or should I say "Hey you guys"

My brother and I were drawn for the late muzzleloader season in zone 4. We are getting tired of hunting in the semi-tropical jungles of south Mississippi and can't wait to hunt in SNOW and sub-freezing temperatures! We have already located public land to hunt (topos, aerials, talked to the manager etc.) We would be thrilled at a chance to take a 250 lb. 120-130 class corn fed Iowa buck, and I would like to just SEE a 150 class. Could anybody give us some ideas about the difficulty in finding private land to hunt in this area if the public land doesn't pan out? Thanks

no one really hunts blackpowder in iowa so hunting public or private should not be much of a problem. i would schedule your hunt as long after shot gun season ends as possible because the party hunting deal in iowa tends to scatter bucks into hiding very quickly. most farmers are sick of deer by dec and will give you permission if you ask either at their farms or at the cafes in town. i dont think the large groups of deer you see standing in fields in late dec in the evening mean much in terms of where good bucks might be. bring a shotgun and shoot some pheasants.

I agree with nodriver on coming to Iowa as late as possible for the muzzleloader season.
I've hunted the Lenox/ Creston area for years with a late season tag with good success. Land isn't a problem, most farmers want as many deer taken as possible, and I'll agree again that the cafe's are a great place to meet willing landowners. Find a food source, hope for nasty weather, and you should have a great hunt.
P.S. Extra warm clothing and hand warmers are a good thing.
Good luck!

Hey iowabruce, when you say look for food source in late dec. or early jan. what kind ofoodsorce are you referring to and what tac ticks should we employ--still hunting slowly thru woods-or sitting long hours? etc..thick woods vs. openfields, or hill tops vs.bottoms..thx much for suggestions !!!!!

The best places we have found are picked cornfields that are off of the beaten path. I've seen herds right behind farm houses and in places you had to walk a mile to get to. You have to remember these deer have been through bow season, an early muzzleloader, and 2 shotgun seasons. The thickest nastiest stuff you can find with adjacent corn fields will be a place to start. As far as still hunting, I'm probably just not good enough so taking a stand seems to work best for us.
But come prepared it can be really miserable with out the right clothing and "STATE OF MIND". And remember we usually won't see the big guys until the last light of the day, so patience is a virtue. Good luck!
Bruce Wohlers

Top Bottom