Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“Post on posts”? Rubbing posts...

You guys are a laugh a minute,,but is a fact. Want to come over and check out my efforts at mock scrapes? Is a fact. Bucks seem to want to scrape where they want, not where I want. They do enjoy rubbing willow I put out though, but that's about it. Most of Iowa is in some stage of drought at the present. If you check out the map. That is NO joke either for many people.

You guys are a laugh a minute,,but is a fact. Want to come over and check out my efforts at mock scrapes? Is a fact. Bucks seem to want to scrape where they want, not where I want. They do enjoy rubbing willow I put out though, but that's about it. Most of Iowa is in some stage of drought at the present. If you check out the map. That is NO joke either for many people.
I feel your pain, alot of the time your are posting what I am thinking. Ask my family, I'm easier to get along with when it rains. Good luck.

Has anybody tried any scents of any kind to Kickstart their vine scrapes on the rubbing posts? I know Windpro/Scrapefix was a fad not long ago. Any others option to "make a better mousetrap"

IMG_5225.PNG
I tried putting in 3 different ones this spring in food plots. I used cedar posts that were already cut for some fencing. Attached a 2 inch pvc pipe that I can slide branches into and pivot to adjust height. Hopefully they will rub the cedar. I have noticed I need to lower the branches or maybe add a vine. Deer are a lot shorter than they seem. I've had decent luck on a couple other scrapes just hanging a single vine or hemp rope and others get no attention.

Ignore the 12 year old being his normal dorky self. lol

I plan on doing that setup for the 1st time tomorrow. I have a decent size cedar I'm going to use and drill holes at an angle to insert limbs (maybe off a hemlock) and screw them fast. I'm thinking they shouldn't hang lower than 5'. Is that a good height?

8.jpeg
11.jpeg
Got a bit longer posts this year. Really helps. Feel like I got the branches at Right height now. Did one hedge on top. Then secured shingle oaks & zip tied some grape vines in them too. Second pic u can see some grape vines in pic. They murder these white pines. I actually cemented in pvc pipes. Can see in second pic where I spilled a lil quick-Crete. Those pvc are secure & so easy to swap posts!!!

View attachment 125964
View attachment 125965
Got a bit longer posts this year. Really helps. Feel like I got the branches at Right height now. Did one hedge on top. Then secured shingle oaks & zip tied some grape vines in them too. Second pic u can see some grape vines in pic. They murder these white pines. I actually cemented in pvc pipes. Can see in second pic where I spilled a lil quick-Crete. Those pvc are secure & so easy to swap posts!!!
So what do you think is the right height? Just curious. I don’t think I have a lot of great areas for one but if I do- I’m sure going to try it

So what do you think is the right height? Just curious. I don’t think I have a lot of great areas for one but if I do- I’m sure going to try it
So I got mine about 6’ off ground. That way u can hang things down off of them lower for scrapes.

Top Bottom