Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

03' bow harvest

grizhawkins

i never posted a picture of my bow buck, i have field pictures but just haven't got around to scanning them, so heres a few pictures from the digital camera as well as my journal entry from the day of harvest.

October 31 (PM) Halloween
Hunted treestand in Walls fencerow. Started at 4:00 pm. 4:15 two does and a fawn came from the tall grass in the creek bottom south of my stand on Cahill's side and crossed over to Wall's. The two does started to fight and kick at each other until a 6pt 1 1/2 came from the corn patch and started smelling them. one doe walked directly under my stand trying to smell me. The other doe and fawn went north up the fencerow. The buck kept about 35 yards away trying to smell me and watching the doe. While I was watching them I could hear grunting behind me, and the 6 pt started walking towards the fencrow under my stand. I turned around and there was a nice 3 1/2 12pt as wide as his ears walking towards me, he started to duck into the timber about 40-45 yards away. I drew my bow and let an arrow fly, the wind was gusting pretty hard and it blew my arrow to the left and it hit right in front of his chest in the dirt. he ran into the timber as well as the 6pt and headed south. 5:00 a 2 1/2 8pt showed up under the willows, I grunted to him a couple of times but he wasn't interested, he turned around and worked toward the creek bowl. 5:15 a buck came from the north timber and worked his way down the Cahill's fencerow. I watched him through my binoculars and could tell he was injured, he had a mass of antlers on his right side and his left side grew almost straight out. He was limping, and I could see he had a broken leg. While he was working his way down the fencerow, two does and a fawn were chased out of Cahill's timber by the big cottonwood followed by a nice 8 pt 3 1/2 when the 8 pt saw the injured buck he started walking towards him, the closer he got the more cocky he became. His hair raised up on the back of his neck and he started to walk stiff legged. he started to circled th injured buck, the injured buck backed off and walked away coming towards me down the hay field edge. He walked to within 40-45 yards to where the 12 pt had stood and smelled around. He continued toward me, I drew my bow and when he was to within 20-25 yards i turned to shoot and hit my arrow on a limb in front of me and knocked it to the ground. He never heard me and kept walking. I managed to knock another arrow. This time when I drew my bow back I went to look through the peep and it was turned side ways. At this point the buck was only 10-15 yards away so I shot with my opposite eye and it hit the buck a little further back than i would of liked. the arrow passed through, he wheeled around and headed back to where he came from. About 150 yards he turned and went into Cahill's. I waited about 30 minutes, climbed down and retrieved all three of my arrows. I went to look for the deer and when I got to where he ducked into the timber, I saw him standing inside of the the timber about forty yards away looking around. So I backed out off and I came back the next morning and found him about 20 yards from where I saw him last.
107503-bow-buck-med.jpg

Griz, thanks for sharing your journal entry with us.... It is refreshing to hear the details you keep in your journal. What a great rack, lots of character and one the I bet you will never forget.

Great job!!!!

Top Bottom