Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

12 or 20 gauge for a deer gun?

J

jason

I have a 12 and 20 gauge Remington 870 express, and i was just wondering which gun should i put money into to make a great deer gun?
thanks and good huntin

If i chose my 12 gauge, im going to get a slug barrel. i hunt in a small party, would it not be a good choice to get a scope?

Jason,

I have both a 20 and 12 gauge setup with scopes for deer. With the continued improvement of sabot ammunition you'll really like having a scoped gun. It takes a little getting use to. I recommend a 2.5 power scope with the longest eye relief you can find. I believe one of mine is 6 inches and the other is 5 inches. I just switched to a rifled barrel on the 12gauge and remington 3" copper solids. Very soft on the shoulder and extremely accurate. I've heard that Winchester has an even better sabot which is both faster and longer. On the 20 I shoot an improved cylinder choke and cheap ammo(remington sluggers). Very effective and a lot more affordable. Also a much lighter gun, less wear and tear both shooting and carrying. My 15 year old son carries the 20 most of the time we are hunting together. It is his preference.

I was in the same situation several years ago and I decided to put my $ into a new gun that I use strictly for deer hunting. I bought a mossberg trophy slugster for $225, just a little more than a slug barrel and it is tapped for a scope and is a tack driver with a scope mounted on it. I shoot the new winchester sabots and although they are expensive I've killed my last 3 deer with just one shot. So after sighting in your gun the price of the ammo isn't much every year.
Before I was constantly changing my chokes and barrels for each season that I hunted, this just makes it easier and I have confidence in my weapon. Just my ideas on the subject.

Top Bottom