Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 rifle season?

The meeting agenda showed Warren Co going from 4200 to 2200 tags.

These are good changes but fall short and are way overdue in my opinion. I know after years of overharvesting by too many kill'em all folks and the ravages of EHD I will neither buy nor fill an antlerless tag in my area in the foreseeable future.

That is a big drop! Some areas are still full of does, but others could used a break, all depends on the section.

But how do you know that? Haven't seen anything released by idnr or Branstad. I hope your right though.

I emailed a contact at the DNR and asked: "Where do we stand with the NRC recommendations?"

Their response:
"[FONT=&quot]The regs still need to be reviewed by the legislative rules committee but the governor approved them before they went to the NRC the first time in May."[/FONT]

The meeting agenda showed Warren Co going from 4200 to 2200 tags. These are good changes but fall short and are way overdue in my opinion. I know after years of overharvesting by too many kill'em all folks and the ravages of EHD I will neither buy nor fill an antlerless tag in my area in the foreseeable future.

Your exactly right, it's a sham! What does it matter when you only shot 1227 does in Warren County in 2013....... My prediction is regardless of offering 2200 or 4200, you will see the same numbers of does harvested. I think the number harvested will drop this year but there is no correlation with number of tags available.

Does

Your exactly right, it's a sham! What does it matter when you only shot 1227 does in Warren County in 2013....... My prediction is regardless of offering 2200 or 4200, you will see the same numbers of does harvested. I think the number harvested will drop this year but there is no correlation with number of tags available.

When I first bought property in Warren County and saw how many doe tags were available, I nearly fell off my chair. After hunting in the county for 3 years, as mentioned earlier, some areas have high deer numbers and others not so much.
4200 tags in one county, I think we have like 500 in our county in MN. That being said, much more habitat and hiding places so there are more deer.

I think 2000 is about right actually, hopefully the number of does shot will drop a bit?

Buy a few tags and don't bother to fill them.

I think it's a good step in the right direction. At least no rifle season.

Regardless of how many doe tags are made available, I think the elimination of the "rifle" season in southern Iowa will really help those counties in a significant way. Even in those southern tier counties where it could be argued that there are still "too many" does tags available, I think the harvest will still go down just because there is no rifle opportunity.

I am much less sure about the impact in counties where the doe tag count may still be too high, but never had the rifle opportunity. But if I understand things right, the late antlerless season is going away entirely. If true, rifle or not, I think that will lead to lower antlerless harvest AND reduce stress on all deer later in the season AND lead to fewer shed bucks being knocked down, no matter the weapon choice and/or tag count.

I am glad to see the changes. But from the north conties with muzzy and 1st shotgun being buck only is going to be a nightmare for landowners who have bad neighbors like I have. I been calling the dnr for yrs with cocerns about our deer pop. Right now where I am at we our down 70% since 1999 when I bought my farm. Glad for the change but not looking forward to the problems.

Buy a few tags and don't bother to fill them.

I think it's a good step in the right direction. At least no rifle season.

No don't do this b/c they lowered the tags to the number that they sold last year. If you don't need the tag don't buy that way less sell and hope they do the same thing lower them based on the number sold! IMO

images

I don't know how many tags were actually sold last year. If there were lots of unsold tags then there may not be too much of a drop in does harvested. If the number of actual tags sold drops then the harvest should decline.

I don't know how many tags were actually sold last year. If there were lots of unsold tags then there may not be too much of a drop in does harvested. If the number of actual tags sold drops then the harvest should decline.

The proposal was to drop it 10,000 below tags sold, which I think works out to about 40,000 tags.

The proposal was to drop it 10,000 below tags sold, which I think works out to about 40,000 tags.

http://s224.photobucket.com/user/fxstbad/media/Screenshot_2014-07-23-18-04-34-1_zps2piqxteu.png.html

Sorry, I was referring to Warren County specifically.

Staewide there should be a definite decrease in doe harvest due to fewer tags, less days to fill them (no January season, and the change in several counties to buck only the first two gun seasons not to mention fewer deer in general as the herd continues to shrink.

I think there a a lot of guys that hunted that January season, either as a way to extend hunting season or to get meat for the freezer if they came up short after the regular seasons. There should be a decrease in antlerless tag sales due to eliminating that season.

Call me crazy but late doe seasons confuse me. I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of these hunters are actually keeping their deer, as opposed to donating them.(I would love to know Hush's late season donation percentage) The reality is that gun hunters should have no issue taking a legal animal during your shotgun or ML seasons.

Now for the few areas that do have density issues it's a great thing. Did anyone think on limiting this late season to select counties as opposed to statewide?

Now for the few areas that do have density issues it's a great thing. Did anyone think on limiting this late season to select counties as opposed to statewide?

Late rifle season was never statewide…just limited to the southern 2 tiers of counties.

NWBuck

Top Bottom