Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

50% took forever

muddy

After last years double down on opening day by 0900 and 4 other birds dead in 4 consecutive hunts I was pretty optimistic for this year. I decided to take a buddy opening morning and with the 40+ mph winds I was less than excited. Long story short we got set up where we needed to be and had a nice bird come into about 8 yards, only to have the holy hell scared out of it by a couple of 3.5 inch magnums. Let me tell you this, if you haven't been inside a blind and felt the concussion of these shells going off you are really missing out, try it, it's fantastic. I think my blind lifted 3 feet up both times and my ears are still bleeding. Regardless it was a very fun hunt as we had birds come in 3 other times but just couldn't see them in the thick green timber.

Here's some pictures from the weekends scouting before opening day and some video of the infamous hunt in the blind. If you pay attention you can see the shot pattern go over the birds head just after it turns to the side and starts to feed, pretty neat.

turkey2012009.jpg

turkey2012007.jpg

turkey2012014.jpg

turkey2012011.jpg

opening day

turkey2012021.jpg

turkey2012027.jpg

I went out another day and had the worst hunt ever, I dont' want to talk about it, let's just say patience is key when turkey hunting. Running and bowing is not my forte and I won't be doing it again very soon. I did find my first shed of the season, which added a little sugar to the pain.

This morning was text book, I went to one farm where I'd been seeing birds and set up expecting to move. When they gobbled I tore down and moved up to within 100 yards and gave a few yelps. I knew some other people had been hunting Friday thru Monday so expected the birds to be call shy, and yes they were. As I sat in the blind playing with a new birthday knife I managed to gash the heck out of my thumb. Sitting there cursing I just yelped a few times and shut up, they came in silent and that was that, I took the biggest of the 3 after he ran the other 2 off. He hung up at 20 yards, which was too close, and he got a Grim Reaper side punch. Keeping with some tradition I had to chase him down and finish him with a big stick, he did get some vengeance as I am rolled my right ankle and tweeked my left hamstring while in hot pursuit. Would've been good video as when I bailed out of the blind my Kimber got stuck on my chair, which got stuck on the blind, which made me biff it into the wet clover, I'm sure it looked about as graceful as you can imagine. Hindsight 20/20 I should've drawn down and finished him with my 45. :D It's good to have 50% of my tags filled and I'm anxiously awaiting a trip down to southern Iowa to do some gun hunting during 4th season. :way:

Thought for the day, a wet turkey smells worse than anything on the planet. I came in while the girls were eating breakfast and my one daughter freaked out because the house smelled like turkey, I had to lysol the entire kitchen area before she would keep eating.

turkey2012117.jpg

turkey2012155.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go Matt, and great story! I'm still trying to fill my bowtag....I gotta get it done before 4th season so then all I have to worry about is my shotgun tag!

Real nice bird Matt! No reason to end the season too early. I know my ears could not handle that kind of damage. My ear ringing gets so bad from loud noises, I almost put the plugs in to do the calling, except it sure would be tough to hear the response.

Top Bottom