Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Few Product Reviews: Magnus, EZ V, "Heavy" Arrows

2-bucks

PMA Member
I have been meaning to share some of my experiences with these pieces of equipment. I know they have all been discussed a lot on here but thought I would give my take on them. I don't have affiliations with any products. Nor any loyalty to them either. I don't shot competition, I'm just an avid hunter of 35 years. So I have tried a lot of different set ups. From shooting fingers with brass pins to traditional to drop aways and mechanical heads. I have shot heavy aluminum to cut off light carbon with an overdraw (man were those a nightmare to get to group!)

Set up: Elite Impulse, 26.5 " draw, 62 lbs, Whisker Biscuit, no stabilizer
Arrows: 500 grain with Magnus 4 blade buzzcut on the tip

Heavy...ish arrows: I bumped up from 400 to 500 grains a couple years ago when getting back into elk hunting. I shot a little better groups but mostly it quieted down my bow a lot! Never did get an elk, but shot a few deer with normal broadside shots, nothing out of the norm that about any set up would have worked on. Last fall I had my first oops that put them to the test. I took a 35 yard shot on a quartering away, to the left, buck. Not bad, but he was alert. I should have passed but was excited and shot. He turned right and the arrow hit him in the butt, left ham. It went left of his leg bone, through the ham, through the body cavity/heart, and stopped slightly in the brisket. Pretty happy with this penetration.

Magnus Buzzcuts: Fly like darts and with my field tips. The bow is tuned well and most fixed heads do fine but these are my most accurate. I always shoot one broadhead with my filed tip groups and if you were not the one shooting the bow you would not be able to pick out which was the broadhead on any group. They are razor sharp out of the package. This is huge for me because I am not good at sharpening and would rather be doing other things. I am convinced this on my arrow (or any other good cut on contact fixed head) contributed to the nice penetration on the deer above.

EZ V: Okay, now here is the one that surprised me a little. As far as the arrow and broadhead performance above, I was kind of expecting or at least hoping for the performance I got. The EZ V...I had no idea if I would love, hate or be indifferent to it. The install was easy with the instructions. The first insert ended up being the correct one. The construction was simple and tough. Sighting per the directions worked as well. Now it did take some getting used to. I started with and still have the insert in so that I can see the tick marks for yardages as pins. Using the tick marks I was quickly shooting as well as my pin sight (it happened to be a Black Gold). A few weeks in and I was shooting better than my old sights. I was practicing two, maybe three short session a week. I am convinced my improvement was due to not trying to hold a pin dead steady and instead looking through the open "V". This reduced my target panic, shoot NOW, instinct. Once I got the sight picture in my head I was okay at going to random places and hitting the vitals without knowing yardage but not confident enough to swap the insert around or leave my range finder at home. I ended up taking a buck and turkey with this sight last fall. Both were quick snap shots that put the arrow right where I was aiming (if I ignore the deer moved at the shot). I would likely not have had time to with normal pins and would have been more likely to jerk a hurried shot in the past.

I am not trying to convince anyone my stuff is better than your stuff. There are so many combos of successful equipment out there it is ridiculous. I'm just saying these are working VERY well for me in real world hunting scenarios. For a guy who is a pretty serious hunter but not the uber, do all my own bow work guy, that some on here are. I buy a new bow ever 7-10 years and periodically tinker with the accessories. In general I like simple, reliable, and high performing equipment, but who doesn't!? The simple and reliable really comes in for me when crawling on my hands and knees through sand, brush, etc. I have broken sights and had a drop away rest bind up from sand before. With the whisker biscuit and EZ V I have the simplest set up I have ever had and it is shooting a little better than any I have had before.

Hope this helps some out there.

Top Bottom