Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Giant Goes Down…..

Not gonna lie...this made me laugh...and shake my head!
I know!!! I get it. That does even “read bad”. ;). This is coming from the guy who spent 15 years mainly on public with a bit of permission. So- I get it. But- i shot that buck I was after last year so no reason to shoot this one. If I shoot one good one- I’m pretty much done. Focus on management bucks & does. He got a pass the rest of the year. ;).

Not gonna lie...this made me laugh...and shake my head!
Same here. But, I guess if age is THIS much of a factor, I may have to start thinking about passing on mature 170 class bucks to get a crack at something truly grand. I honestly don't think I have it in me. Maybe, only maybe, if I was confident he was relatively safe from other hunters.

I know!!! I get it. That does even “read bad”. ;). This is coming from the guy who spent 15 years mainly on public with a bit of permission. So- I get it. But- i shot that buck I was after last year so no reason to shoot this one. If I shoot one good one- I’m pretty much done. Focus on management bucks & does. He got a pass the rest of the year. ;).

I didn't take it / read it as "bad"...I laughed because in Iowa this is a possibility! Crazy the amount of inches of jump in 1 year. The way I see it, is good for y'all to put yourself in position that you are able to pass on a buck like this. The self control AND RISK paid off. Y'all had no way of guaranteeing that this buck would live, or shoot up like this. Dude, I commend this! Fact of the matter, at this stage in my life and hunting career I wouldn't be able to do that :)

Same here. But, I guess if age is THIS much of a factor, I may have to start thinking about passing on mature 170 class bucks to get a crack at something truly grand. I honestly don't think I have it in me. Maybe, only maybe, if I was confident he was relatively safe from other hunters.
& to hesseu…. Great comments & discussion above…. HONESTY. love it!!

I’ll be honest…. I finally got to a point in “hunting career” where I just “don’t care” or “love to gamble”. I’m NOT saying this is right/wrong or how anyone else should do it…. Just how I view it now. If they get killed - that’s what happens. This dude was feeding in field by road & vehicles were coasting by slow. Turning headlights off. This is coming off a couple years where a local got busted/convicted on 49 bucks rifled out the truck window.
& yes- 1000000% he could have been shot by a neighbor!!! No doubt! Or die of ehd. Or hit by car. But- I know all this and I’m ok with it. It’s a gamble. & gamble I’ve lost. But- I’m just at a stage where if I eat a tag- I don’t care. I really don’t. When a deer hits 4 or for sure 5…. The odds go WAY WAY down they get killed by neighbor though. They usually just too smart. Even in higher pressure areas - older bucks don’t get shot like the 2-3 year olds.
All a personal choice & absolutely case dependent. This gamble worked out. The next one pry won’t. On this farm - I now have zero bucks I want to shoot. So- be fun time for Does & a management buck & bringing kiddos out!

**I actually love these kinda discussions with folks & buddies. This is fun!

Now…. The general public when anyone kills a big one & “that guy” who makes stuff up or gets jealous or is a dbag …. No time for that. I remember what that Franz guy went through on that deer. :(. Oh- I already had my first off the wall comment a guy said online that was outrageous. The stuff people come up with is wild!! This one was a whopper!! Guy was an idiot. Hope folks shoot good bucks & it’s FUN! No bs. How it should be!!

Last edited:
Congrats again to your brother and everyone involved with this guy!! Truly a beautiful thing when your plan works out!!! But.... i would not have minded if you shot him skip! Your on my team this yr!!!!!!! Hahahaha! Nice job guys!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

70”+ in a year . Unreal! Full feed for that dude the last year.

I don’t think anyone was upset about the 170 comment…… we all get it

As they say - can’t shoot a 170” if you shoot all the 150” deer on your farm every year. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but certainly have to have the discipline to take down giant deer!

Congrats again to your Bro

I keep going back the pics.
That deer is just SO perfect!
I could not draw a better description of the "perfect nontyp"

I’ll be honest…. I finally got to a point in “hunting career” where I just “don’t care” or “love to gamble”. I’m NOT saying this is right/wrong or how anyone else should do it…. Just how I view it now. If they get killed - that’s what happens. This dude was feeding in field by road & vehicles were coasting by slow. Turning headlights off. This is coming off a couple years where a local got busted/convicted on 49 bucks rifled out the truck window.
& yes- 1000000% he could have been shot by a neighbor!!! No doubt! Or die of ehd. Or hit by car. But- I know all this and I’m ok with it. It’s a gamble. & gamble I’ve lost. But- I’m just at a stage where if I eat a tag- I don’t care. I really don’t. When a deer hits 4 or for sure 5…. The odds go WAY WAY down they get killed by neighbor though. They usually just too smart. Even in higher pressure areas - older bucks don’t get shot like the 2-3 year olds.
All a personal choice & absolutely case dependent. This gamble worked out. The next one pry won’t. On this farm - I now have zero bucks I want to shoot. So- be fun time for Does & a management buck & bringing kiddos out!

Now…. The general public when anyone kills a big one & “that guy” who makes stuff up or gets jealous or is a dbag …. No time for that. I remember what that Franz guy went through on that deer. :(. Oh- I already had my first off the wall comment a guy said online that was outrageous. The stuff people come up with is wild!! This one was a whopper!! Guy was an idiot. Hope folks shoot good bucks & it’s FUN! No bs. How it should be!!
I wasn't upset at the letting a 170 - 6 to walk last year. I'm super happy you did. If you hadn't, your brother wouldn't have gotten the monster it became. I'm super happy for you both. Wish I could pass on a 170, but doubt I ever will, unless something major changes in my life.

Incredible deer. I think Sligh said his brother watched him for 30 min before shooting him at 12 yards. I would have been at the bottom of the tree after shaking. Lol. The longer I watch a big deer the worse I get. Job well done!!! Get NAW on the line!

Incredible deer. I think Sligh said his brother watched him for 30 min before shooting him at 12 yards. I would have been at the bottom of the tree after shaking. Lol. The longer I watch a big deer the worse I get. Job well done!!! Get NAW on the line!
Yup looks like cover buck material to me!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've looked at that picture 20 times and just now noticed the sheds. Guess my eyes never moved far from those amazing antlers.

Crazy jump in one year… what a freak rarity! Congrats Sligh family and Aaron way to make it happen before he was all busted up!

i Spoke with Franz about a month ago in Scheels in Des Moines. He doesn't even hunt anymore. I am sure all the grief he took and the legal battle took it out of him.

Top Bottom