Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Accessing land locked public hunting land

meyeri

PMA Member
I have a quick question. I recently checked out some new public hunting ground, the only problem is that other than the Cedar River the only way to access it is by walking through a wildlife preserve. Can you walk through the preserve with a bow/firearm to gain access to the public ground?

I know of some other public ground that is accessible by walking down the cedar valley trail and this is a preserve as well. Anyone know the policy on this? Can you cut through these areas if your weapon is unloaded/put away?

I couldn't find anything on this in the regulations and didn't want to try these areas until I knew for sure.

Thanks

I have accessed public ground by gaining permission from the private landowner to cross their property to get into the private. Otherwise, it would have been a good 2 to 3 mile walk. I was hunting late season, so a canoe probably wouldn't have been feasible. But if you're turkey hunting, and had a buddy who could pick you up at the next road downriver, maybe it would work out.

All state ground has to have at least one access point. The cedar river would technically be your access point fitting that rule. Odds are the reason there's so many birds is it's land locked and the landowners surrounding it probably hunt it as private because their land is the only logical access and as for the wildlife preserve or wildlife refuge most rules and regulations state no firearms/weapons. The only logical explanation for this would be for that one bad egg that would potentially see being able to walk through the refuge with a weapon a free pass at hunting virgin or unmolested land, I'd like to say there is no way you'd be granted any access. I would maybe call a County Conservation office as I'm assuming the wildlife preserve is a county park rather than a state park?? If so they would be much more help that a CO would be as they would be the ones watching over it/maintaining it. I'd say unless you want to canoe or boat the river your SOL. A lot of ground in my neck of the woods is the same senario!

Last edited:
I called the local co a few years ago about a piece of public land that I could only acess from the lake, Unless I went through a no hunting wild life preserve. they called me back and told me that if i left my bow in the case until i got to the public land I was good to go. I would say just call them and see what they say.

Legally they cannot have it land locked. Same with private, the landowners have to agree with you to have a road to access the property. We have a major problem with that on one of our properties we farm.

There's 160 acres of stateland land locked by me. I called the CO and the only way in is to gain permission from a landowner. If I couldn't get permission I'm s.o.l. I was shocked. To the north is a couple out of state landowners that won't let you through. Pretty crazy when you can't hunt something we paid for.

I know one piece that is about 10-15 acres that is 100% landlocked in boone county that is one of my favorite places to hunt. Talked to Dnr and they confirmed there was no access to it. I got lucky and gained access through the private. Awesome spot though.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll give the local CO a call and see what he has to say. Sounds like it might be time to invest in a canoe!

I called the local co a few years ago about a piece of public land that I could only acess from the lake, Unless I went through a no hunting wild life preserve. they called me back and told me that if i left my bow in the case until i got to the public land I was good to go. I would say just call them and see what they say.

I would double check that info with another CO before entering any preserve with a weapon. Cased or not. I know of individuals who have been fined for carrying a cased bow on a wildlife preserve. I have even heard of people getting ticketed for using their boat to molest ducks within a wildlife preserve!

I would double check that info with another CO before entering any preserve with a weapon. Cased or not. I know of individuals who have been fined for carrying a cased bow on a wildlife preserve. I have even heard of people getting ticketed for using their boat to molest ducks within a wildlife preserve!

Hey I'm all for having a good time but molesting ducks crosses the line....

Top Bottom