Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another turkey opener at the Stabbin Cabin

turkeyriver

PMA Member
is in the books. Being so old that it takes me just as long to trim my nose, ear hair and eyebrows as it does to shave, causes me to reflect a bit. As I cleaned the ashes out of the woodstove, swept the floor and carried out the trash; I realized the things I'll remember most of the last three days had little to do with shooting a longbeard. Sunday afternoon's steady rain pounding on the roof, the need to keep the stove stoked for 3 days straight, the 3 inches of snow on the ground Mon. morning, watching two friends walk up the hill in the downpour so they wouldn't rut up the road(they wouldn't miss the party for anything) will all stick with me. Seeing my son laugh so hard he cried, Bonker's face after too much of that good bourbon when he suddenly yelled,"PENGUIN" out of the blue. Turns out it was related to the conversation after he explained. Hearing the new guy exclaim, "This is the best" after a few hours. Making that shooter bid in euchre when you really needed it, the wonderful taste of day old donuts and chocolate milk, the warmth of the woodstove after a few hours out in that wind. Oh yeah, and finally shooting a bird last night was great, but not what Ill remember most. Hope you all have a "cabin", whether it be a garage, your kitchen, or a camper, that gives you the memories we all need.

Well put! Our busy lives have let out "cabin" tradition slip during turkey season, and I miss it more and more every year. Many of my best memories were in the cabin with my Dad, brothers and a few good friends!

Just moved back home where I can continue my cabin memories. Deer season is the best week of the year down here, rather we see any deer or not.

Thanks tr...TOTALLY reminds me of the last several turkey seasons in NW Iowa. We've killed several, missed a few, and crabbed about someone wanting to stay up telling stories to within a couple of hours of daylight, but all-in-all, one of my favorite times of the year :D

NWBuck

Don't go getting all emotional just yet... Lot of season left. :D If you think you are getting old though... I may know a guy that can pre plan your funeral ;) Need to talk to Justin about that... He said something about putting you in assisted living after turkey season.

Good stuff man, congrats on the bird.

C'mon dg, don't be writing me off just yet. Bonker, on the other hand, may need your services if he doesn't get in shape!!

if he doesn't get in shape!!

Round is a shape isn't it? :rolleyes: Yeah I saw Bonks at the classic and he was turning purple from sucking his gut in around Melissa Bachman all day. Those Hawaiin shirts have got him thinking he's going to start sumo wrestling or something. Did he bring the Salty leather sticks that he fed us last time?

Round is a shape isn't it? :rolleyes: Yeah I saw Bonks at the classic and he was turning purple from sucking his gut in around Melissa Bachman all day. Those Hawaiin shirts have got him thinking he's going to start sumo wrestling or something. Did he bring the Salty leather sticks that he fed us last time?

Those are landjager. Jackwagon! :D

Oh yeah! Those are great. We ran out of cigars and lit a couple up. Smoooooth! I've got a couple left if you got a craving.

Yeah, it was a good evening. Euchre sucks. Who the hell plays a card game where a jack is high and the "off" jack is second high? I yelled "PENGUIN" because I can't hoot like an owl. I was merely practicing my "locator call". I was trying to locate the five gallon bucket that I was destined to fill over the next two days.

Hunting camp; good times, good friends, good memories.

Top Bottom