Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Auto pilot

Crab Claws 12

PMA Member
What are some ways you prepare your self for the shot? I have my own routine, but would like to hear what others do to perpare your self for the shoot from the time you see the deer and decide to shoot it till you release the arrow. Some times I feel like I go into auto pilot and its just a blury memory.

past few years have been auto pilot, pretty much see the deer, decide i'm killing him, take a breath, and kill him.

Gotta clean the pipes before you head to the stand! Takes away all the jitters...... What?

Muddy..... you truly are a machine. Arise, kill, eat... like it's your job! :grin:

Last edited:
I agree with muddy.

Once it's determined to be a shooter buck, or that I'm going to shoot a particular doe, only thing I focus on is where I want to hit. On bucks, as soon as I know it's a shooter I quit looking at the rack.

Once they step into the shooting lane, if they're moving I murrrp'em, shallow breath in, hold, aim, squeeze.

I try to wait for the shoulder blade to move forward as well...but that doesn't always work. When deer open up the vitals by moving that shoulder blade forward (taking a step forward with near side leg) it increases the margin of error in the hunter favor...turns an apple into a basketball:way:

I found that if I start thinking too much things could and do go wrong sometimes. I try to get myself mad and determined once I decide I'm going to shoot. I refer to it as getting in the zone, every time I have, I made perfect shots without even remembering if I looked at my pins and picked a spot or not. I do determine the yardages ahead of time and the last thing I remeber is the yardage entering my brain then I grit my teeth and fall into the "zone". The shot I took at both the buck and doe I shot this year were a blur, hit both in the 12 ring, one at 20 yards and one at 26 tards, both 30 yard recoveries. Takes a lot of focus and little thinking if you practice enough.

I start in the off season with a lot of practice from different position including seating standing kneeling and another every other position you can think of. Including from tree stands. Then when I get to my stands I range yardage in all shooting lanes from 25 yards to 50 yards. When that shooter does come in all the time practicing takes over and muscle memory. Is what I refer to it as. I know about all of my deer from scouting and trail cam pics so that to helps to know what bucks are shooters when they walk in. And to ease even more pain during hunting season when I am not in the stand I take my wife out for dinner or give her a night off from the kids that last pointer is the most important but I think all of you married dads out there already know that

I try to relax myself, but that's no fun. I usually start off shaking and freaking out, but once he gets with in shooting range and a shooting lane I kind of zone out and release a arrow.

All the work for me is in the offseason and practice shots. Make sure the form, anchor points, and hands are the same every time so that when the shot comes that my instinct. Because when I think too much about the shot in the stand I usually blow it. So now its just determine I'm gonna shoot and let instinct take over. Usually after the shot I find myself saying "What the **** just happened" and trying to remember it is usually a blur.

Top Bottom