Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Balancing it all

So, we are 13 days into the season and I have not sat once. Between work and other commitments time has been short to enjoy a hunt. I have been thinking today of how I can make the most of my time to get hunting time in and still cover other commitments. I have been thinking of only bow hunting during the time that the rut and seeking is most likely going on. Then hunt 2nd shotgun and/or late muzzleloader. Some how I would like to throw in some trapping.

How do you all split your seasons up and balance the rest of life with hunting?

I save my vacation up for a few days off during the rut, I take off Thankgiving week for trapping (fur is prime by then), and save a couple days for Late Muzzleloader.

Hunt first, then fit in the rest :)

Pretty much.... I was just talking with a guy at work the other day who is "too busy" and hasn't been able to get out, hasn't even touched his bow. My mentality is all that other stuff can wait. Those projects at home that I could do rather than go sit in the stand will still be there ready and waiting come springtime. I have NO issue pushing that "stuff" to the side in order to do what I love for the limited time we are able to do it. With that being said, commitments are commitments, my family comes before hunting as well. Case in point, all day today I was planning to go out this evening only to have my plan change at the last minute because our two youngest kids had fevers and my wife was in need of some help at home.

This may be going off on a tangent, but I also have a good friend that has two kids and they are involved in EVERYTHING leaving him no time to hunt like he would love to do. Commitments are commitments, but i just recall growing up and not being involved in much at all and absolutely loved the freedom we had. Seems like the pressure to have your kids in every sport and every event these days really puts a ton of stress on us parents and families as a whole. Sometimes less is more I think. And it leaves more time to do the things we love rather than the things we feel obligated to do. And that's not bashing kids sports or events or anything like that so don't take that the wrong way.

Books could be written about a subject like this! :D When my boys were young and free time was pretty rare, I may have only bow hunted 1 or 2 times in a year, other years a 1/2 dozen times out or so would be it for the year. I wanted to go more often, sure, but my wife and I were more committed to raising the boys and I can only say now that they are fully grown...I have NO regrets over prioritizing family over hunting...it was all worth it. The KEY is though to get the kids involved in the outdoors/hunting! :D

Pick your spots, if I was still that limited on time, I would laser beam in on the first 2 weeks of November...and then be realistic about your goals. I drove myself nuts there a little bit by holding out for a Booner in years where I could only hunt a few times per year AND there were no Booners living within miles of where I was hunting. So I re-evaluated and decided to relax and have fun hunting and not beat myself up if I didn't get a huge buck. Go when you can, don't sweat things so much, enjoy the sunrises and the times with friends and family...oh, and if you get a deer...all the better.

You have to pick your spots for sure. I have it pretty good as far as work goes. Save some vacation for November and I am also able to skate out early or come in late if conditions make me want to get out for a couple hours as long as my work is done and everything is running right. I negotiated that when I started here.

Dealing with the kids and family stuff is what makes it tough. I wanted to be out last night but there was a football game I wasn't going to miss. I give up pretty much everything else to be there to help during the rest of the year. For the most part November is still mine. My kids are in so much stuff I don't feel bad missing a game or 2. I've always told them from the beginning they do what they do for themselves, not for me or mom. They don't need me to be there for everything. That being said I only miss those things for something like a Elk trip or rut hunt. All my October hunting happens when it can.

My wife doesn't even bother with a honey do list this time of year. If it's not broke it can wait. Some years the leaves stay on the ground until the snow melts.

Family is always first for me. Cows also require the usual time. I don't hunt much before the 25th of Oct with harvest. Maybe once. My wife is pretty understanding about it and I get a pretty solid month to go when time allows. While my kids are young it will be a sacrifice. I also try to get the kids involved whenever possible. Part of being a dad. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's funny, cuz my wife just brought this up yesterday that hunting season never really ends for me and asked me what I would do when we have kids. I told her I would invite my folks (they live 5 hrs away) to come visit for a week during the rut every year. I was half way kidding, but I'm taking advantage of our "two incomes no kids" years while I can!

It's funny, cuz my wife just brought this up yesterday that hunting season never really ends for me and asked me what I would do when we have kids. I told her I would invite my folks (they live 5 hrs away) to come visit for a week during the rut every year. I was half way kidding, but I'm taking advantage of our "two incomes no kids" years while I can!

You're a DINK! (double income, no kids). Definitely enjoy that while you can!

I have yet to get out as well...past couple of weekends have had other family commitments. Maybe this weekend I'll get out for a hunt, but have another commitment as well. Since kids, my time for hunting and related activities (scouting, hunting, shed hunting, trail cameras, lane trimming, etc) has decreased dramatically. Last year I got out 4 or 5 times during bow season (for both early and late) and none in shotgun. All hunts were middle of the day, so I didn't see much. Sometimes I get a little down about not being able to be out every day/all day, but I just tell myself kids/family are more important and maybe they will join me someday. I don't want to miss too much of them growing up. Also, it's easy for me to feel selfish and guilty when I go off hunting and leave the family at home. Work gets priority for me as well, if we are busy. I have enough time off to use (ok, not really, because it's not like I can take a solid 3.5 months off!!!), but unfortunately we are busy this time of year, so I have to fit hunting in when I can. Also have to leave time for sickness, either me or kiddos. I just try to get out there when I can, and haven't made a big deal of it early in the season the past few years to try to be able to go when the action gets good. I'm sure I've already missed good opportunities this year. I think it all comes down to prioritizing each day. Try to set aside some time for hunting and know that that could change at a moment's notice. But most importantly, focus on what matters most to you. Right now, I don't really have a hunting plan as far as time off. I'll just go when I can.

I stay away from my spots as long as possible but I honestly miss the days of getting in the timber early. I am changing it up this year and getting started next week.

I guess I shouldn't really complain. I do not have kids, not planning to have any, and my girlfriend knows that I would rather be out hunting than doing pretty much anything else. I guess my biggest hang up is that we are busy this time of year at work, especially with it being wet the whole summer, and I do not want to be taking time off with projects going on that have been delayed till now. It also does not help that most of my projects are TSI jobs and this is the best time of the year to be applying chemical.

I usually don't even try to go much until the week of Halloween. This year I have been trying to get my daughter on one. That mission is complete. But - We are building a house, we are in a wedding in North Carolina this weekend, the kids are busy with things. You know, busy busy busy. Always something. Many of you know that my wife is also a hunter. She broke her collar bone a week ago and it was nasty enough to require surgery so she is probably not going to hunt at all this year. I am as avid as any serious deer hunter spending many days in a tree each year. This year will be slim until the house is finished which should be early December. I have my usual two weeks off in November but I will be splitting that time up between interior house work and bowhunting. By the time late muzz comes around I should be settled in and ready to go.

Good topic that I've struggled with for years. You have this burning desire to hunt but feel guilty when you do. Really question myself especially since I've not taken a deer with the bow in three years.

I typically only bow hunt around Halloween weekend till the 10th. It's always been enough to keep me satisfied. I did sneak in the stand yesterday morning but it just reminded me why I only hunt the few days I do. I won't be back at it till the 29th. Make the most of what you got.

I asked my wife to make my hunting schedule out with me this year. We agreed on some dates and that will be it. I will try not to push it and even possibly cancel a day (purposely) to surprise her and let her know she is important to me. My son's youth basketball season has now been released on Saturdays, so I'll have to adjust there as well. I've enjoyed getting him involved and hope the other boys want to as well. My oldest has the fever...bad! :)

I've thought about this a LOT over the years. Guys and gals - I'm not playing "Holier than thou" but seriously...too many of us sacrifice our families on the alter of hunting like there is something eternal we can take with us when we die. If we sit back and think about it, it only makes us look selfish. We know who we are...me included. And I get it, it's not wrong to hunt - I connect with nature, God, enjoy my time out there, reflect on life, etc.....but it becomes wrong for me (and for others) when it trumps more important things in life.

If we are coming out of the woods as men who are better husbands, fathers, co-workers, friends, etc, then I think we would have lots of people encouraging us to go hunting. I always try to use that time to be better and reflect upon my life...but the reality is, it is still time away.

Now, if my kids are begging to go, or they are out of the house after HS, or my wife is saying 'get out of here and hunt,' you betcha I'll be in a tree stand. Until then, I'll have to wait until my kids are graduated. :)

Folks - I'm not saying hunting is bad. I've learned a lot of bad lessons over the years because I've made some poor choices and put hunting ahead of my family. I only hope others can learn from my mistakes. When done right in its proper place, hunting is amazing. My favorite thing to do by far...thanks to my dad for taking me out and teaching me many life lessons from it. Just my 2 cents.

Gladiator said:
I asked my wife to make my hunting schedule out with me this year. We agreed on some dates and that will be it. I will try not to push it and even possibly cancel a day (purposely) to surprise her and let her know she is important to me. My son's youth basketball season has now been released on Saturdays, so I'll have to adjust there as well. I've enjoyed getting him involved and hope the other boys want to as well. My oldest has the fever...bad! :) I've thought about this a LOT over the years. Guys and gals - I'm not playing "Holier than thou" but seriously...too many of us sacrifice our families on the alter of hunting like there is something eternal we can take with us when we die. If we sit back and think about it, it only makes us look selfish. We know who we are...me included. And I get it, it's not wrong to hunt - I connect with nature, God, enjoy my time out there, reflect on life, etc.....but it becomes wrong for me (and for others) when it trumps more important things in life. If we are coming out of the woods as men who are better husbands, fathers, co-workers, friends, etc, then I think we would have lots of people encouraging us to go hunting. I always try to use that time to be better and reflect upon my life...but the reality is, it is still time away. Now, if my kids are begging to go, or they are out of the house after HS, or my wife is saying 'get out of here and hunt,' you betcha I'll be in a tree stand. Until then, I'll have to wait until my kids are graduated. :) Folks - I'm not saying hunting is bad. I've learned a lot of bad lessons over the years because I've made some poor choices and put hunting ahead of my family. I only hope others can learn from my mistakes. When done right in its proper place, hunting is amazing. My favorite thing to do by far...thanks to my dad for taking me out and teaching me many life lessons from it. Just my 2 cents.
Wish I could like this twice!! Well put!!

Top Bottom