Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Beans are in !!

Wi transplant

PMA Member
What a gorgeous day in southern iowa today 67 degrees light wind sunny. Perfect day to put in my late season bean plot ! Gonna fence off next week! First time fencing to save from browse preassure ! Cant wait to see how this works!!
9b93fff4779fabc125ccba5957ca9e6f.jpg
6e2226bdf446a18a2ce80a2af1be3216.jpg

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Wow! Well done!!! Fenced beans on fertile ground - u gonna have heck of a plot!!

Thanks tried 2 acres un fenced last yr they made it about a ft tall some pods but i had to overseed with rye . want to have theese beans for late season along with brassicas. Cant wait!

Goes to show you don't need a bunch of high dollar equipment to put in food plots. Well done!

Nice, good job! A couple unsolicited thoughts to think...

If you are going to e-fence your plot and one side of it lays right next to cover, which is what it looks like in the photos, I think you may have some fence "run-ins" and/or volunteer weeds that will short the fence on that side that you might have trouble keeping mowed/sprayed. My sense is that deer will burst from cover and hit your fence.

The one year I ran e-fence, it worked pretty well...until the rut started. Then, about every time I got around it I found one or two spots that had been hit and knocked over. I assume once the chasing phase started that there were then accidental run-ins due to that.

If I wanted a bean plot still there in late season, even if the e-fence works well, I would think about planting them later than April. It might work well, I am not sure, my thought is that you may want to plant in mid-June'ish to have them still standing well in January.

I assume you used RR or LibertyLink beans, so you can over spray them once they are up. My biggest challenge, short of the dreaded SE Iowa recurring summertime drought, is weed control. Long story short, I have really struggled with beans over the years and too many weeds/grasses has been one of the biggies that I have fought. Fight the weeds early and hard to keep your plot working for you.

Just some thoughts, good luck!

Thanks daver ! Im gonna keep out from timber some and am gonna pull fence around 15th of oct. Take advantage of beans for bow season and "hope " to have some into dec. I have lots of other groceries for them to chow on !!

Nice, good job! A couple unsolicited thoughts to think...

If you are going to e-fence your plot and one side of it lays right next to cover, which is what it looks like in the photos, I think you may have some fence "run-ins" and/or volunteer weeds that will short the fence on that side that you might have trouble keeping mowed/sprayed. My sense is that deer will burst from cover and hit your fence.

The one year I ran e-fence, it worked pretty well...until the rut started. Then, about every time I got around it I found one or two spots that had been hit and knocked over. I assume once the chasing phase started that there were then accidental run-ins due to that.

If I wanted a bean plot still there in late season, even if the e-fence works well, I would think about planting them later than April. It might work well, I am not sure, my thought is that you may want to plant in mid-June'ish to have them still standing well in January.

I assume you used RR or LibertyLink beans, so you can over spray them once they are up. My biggest challenge, short of the dreaded SE Iowa recurring summertime drought, is weed control. Long story short, I have really struggled with beans over the years and too many weeds/grasses has been one of the biggies that I have fought. Fight the weeds early and hard to keep your plot working for you.

Just some thoughts, good luck!
Preemmergent herbicides will change your life. ;)

Preemmergent herbicides will change your life. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but to be able to purchase and spray those types of chemicals, I need my RUP license, right? I got the study materials to prepare for the test somewhat recently and then this COVID tidal wave hit my beach and I haven't been back to the subject since.

I also just a couple of days ago bought a legit corn planter...old as it is...it is functional. I scored it at a farm auction for $230!! I will replace the tires, spruce it up, etc, and hope to use it yet this spring to plant some corn and beans myself.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to be able to purchase and spray those types of chemicals, I need my RUP license, right? I got the study materials to prepare for the test somewhat recently and then this COVID tidal wave hit my beach and I haven't been back to the subject since.

I also just a couple of days ago bought a legit corn planter...old as it is...it is functional. I scored it at a farm auction for $230!! I will replace the tires, spruce it up, etc, and hope to use it yet this spring to plant some corn and beans myself.
I will correct you cuz you are wrong. Lol!

Tons of options that done require RUP.

There are too many options to list. Personally, I've run Up-Front (fomesafen & Metolachlor) and Outlook this year.

Gone are the days of weed headaches, multiple post sprayings, and nasty things like waterhemp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I will correct you cuz you are wrong. Lol!

Tons of options that done require RUP.

There are too many options to list. Personally, I've run Up-Front (fomesafen & Metolachlor) and Outlook this year.

Gone are the days of weed headaches, multiple post sprayings, and nasty things like waterhemp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well...let's just say then that I am glad to be wrong. :) Where are you sourcing your chemicals? For corn, what would you recommend? For beans? TIA.

Well...let's just say then that I am glad to be wrong. :) Where are you sourcing your chemicals? For corn, what would you recommend? For beans? TIA.
I like fierce for a pre for soybeans. And use outlook or warrant with my post application. Fierce is pretty expensive but works very well. Only need 3 oz per acre but comes in a 6 pound jug. For corn I'm not sure what is available in jugs since we get everything in bulk. Halex gt is a good product. It is roundup callisto and dual. We get chemicals from Nutrien (it's a big chain). Any local coop or f/s should be able to hook you up.

Top Bottom