Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bear Practice

G

This could be a banner year! Aug 25 2001 great way to parctice tree stand
patience before deer season!

Scout

uploadedbear.jpg

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 09-10-2001).]

Great looking bear scout! I wondered if you'd had any luck. We had excellent luck as well, going 3 for 3 on bears the first night out. Nothing huge, but still a great night. Hunted hard to fill our second tags, but the weather turned warm and most of the activity was after dark. Nothing like logging long hours on stand to help get ready for Oct. 1. I'll try to post pictures when I get them.

NW Buck

Yes, it was warm. How about those bugs! We went 4 for 4 in four nights. One was unable to be recovered after it ran into a huge swamp area with acres of 4ft grass. It was shot with a muzzle loader. This was my second time bear hunting and my first bear. What a rush!
wink.gif

Took my son Cody (15) and daughter Crystal (17) bear hunting for the first time this year in Northwest MN. She got one with a 20-guage slug the first night, he whacked a whopper the third night with his bow. Wow what fun. I was in a stand right next to Crystal when she shot hers. It was at least as much fun as getting my first one. I'd post photos but I don't know how. I recommend this bear hunting to anyone. I'm hooked.

Are both of you using an outfitter or out on your own? I'd consider another part of Mn. if you care to fill me in on the specifics of your hunt. The fee is rising next year and I'm toying with Canada as an option. BIG'OL BRUINS!

Hey Scout, We used an outfitter. I applied for Zone 12, where I arrowed a bear last year but didn't draw. So I called Tim Irlbeck of Grygla who has a few baits in the no-quota, and I bought the kid's licenses over the counter. Irlbeck has some unbelieveable baits out that have a lot of bears on them in Zone 12. One guy videotaped 17 different bears on a bait in one afternoon and evening. His hunters take several P&Ys every year and he has some color phase too. One guy shot a beautiful chocolate while we were there. He's pretty booked up and he doesn't do any advertising, that gives you an idea of how good it is.

I'm doing an article about the hunt for Bear Hunting Magazine and I'll have more info about it in the article if you are a subscriber.

Ours was a do-it-yourself hunt. It's an area in zone 31 that we've hunted before and have had excellent luck in. I've got nothing against using outfitters, I just really enjoy finding and hunting an area on our own. It does require a bit more time and energy (more trips for baiting, etc.) but the overall cost is probably a bit less.

You guys are dead right about bear hunting being addictive. I've hunted deer with gun and bow since a very early age, but have never had anything that matches the rush of having a bear within bow range!

Still working on getting photos posted. Any hints from someone who knows how to post pictures using a Mac ?? Thanks.

NWBuck

Iowa1, That sound amazing! I've seen a couple copies of the mag but don't subscribe.
Are you sure you need to do that article! This sounds like a secret to keep! What is his fee? Martinson is going to $650 next season. [email protected] THANKS!

His fee is $1250 per bear. You don't shoot one you don't pay. However, as you might expect, his success rate is near 100% and most people look over a lot of bears before they whack one. I'll post the phone number after the article comes out.

Scout,

If the hunting is good (which it sure appears to have been for you), $650 is cheap! I have a couple of friends who've hunted Canada and you can expect to pay double that to hunt a quality area north of the border.

Also, like I need one more magazine around here to read, but how can I subscribe to Bear Hunting magazine? I've never seen it...

NWBuck

[This message has been edited by NWBuck (edited 09-13-2001).]

hey Iowa1,

how can we get a hold of Tim Irlbeck? Does he have an email address?

Top Bottom