Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn 209

GOLDTIP

Life Member
Spent the afternoon at the range trying Blackhorn 209 and was VERY impressed!!! I have an Encore Endeavor with a Nikon BDC scope. I used 120 gr. with Hornady 250gr. SST bullets. Groups looked great at 100yds but decided to give 200yds a try. I shot 12 rounds at 50 and 100yds without cleaning. This is the 13th, 14th, and 15th rounds @ 200yds...again, without even running a patch down the barrel:

PC180001.JPG

I decided to quit while I was ahead! It only took 4 patches down the barrel to clean it up!! The only bad thing about this powder so far is that it's not as easy to deal with as pellets, but with consistancy, and ease of cleaning, I can deal with it!

So if your 3-4 inches high at 200yds how high are you shooting at 100yds? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Nice shooting Buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if your 3-4 inches high at 200yds how high are you shooting at 100yds? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Nice shooting Buddy. </div></div>

I am holding it about 14 inches high at 100 yds! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Oh and by the way Adam... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

That is the results we were seeing! The couple seconds it takes to measure out the powder is well worth versus not having to clean between shots or series of shots. We had about 16" of drop at 200yd. That is with 110 grain powder and 250 Barnes, might be a little out of range, we'll dial it in a little more next summer/fall/winter but got it ready for late muzzy!

Glad you liked it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if your 3-4 inches high at 200yds how high are you shooting at 100yds? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Nice shooting Buddy. </div></div>

I am holding it about 14 inches high at 100 yds! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Oh and by the way Adam... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif </div></div>

It was just a question-- Can you say SENSITIVE?

Maybe your ready now for the buck we named "Andrew" (because of you)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the results we were seeing! The couple seconds it takes to measure out the powder is well worth versus not having to clean between shots or series of shots. We had about 16" of drop at 200yd. That is with 110 grain powder and 250 Barnes, might be a little out of range, we'll dial it in a little more next summer/fall/winter but got it ready for late muzzy!

Glad you liked it! </div></div>

Actually I was 1 inch high at 100yds! Used the 200 yds circle on the BDC scope and it put them where the picture shows. Not sure exactly how high I "held" it. Really liking the stuff so far though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if your 3-4 inches high at 200yds how high are you shooting at 100yds? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Nice shooting Buddy. </div></div>

Oh and by the way Adam... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif </div></div>

It was just a question-- Can you say SENSITIVE?

Maybe your ready now for the buck we named "Andrew" (because of you) </div></div>

Yes Adam, I think shooting Andrew would make me feel a little better! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I am taking it to the range tomorrow to see the results I can get. I am going with the 250 grain Barnes, TMZ bullets, start at 100 grains of BH209 and remington sst primers. I hope I have the same results as you Dana. I will do a post to give me 2 cents tomorrow night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shredder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remington sst primers. </div></div>

I'm not familiar with these. What are they?

Good Luck Ryan! Do those primers you are using run rally hot? I used the CCI 209M's just cuz they are Magnum primers and run pretty hot.

They worked out fine. At 100 yards, the 2 of us shooting had awesome groups. Clean up was easy. We never had problems seating the bullets down and never had a "crud ring". I am sold on the stuff

I think it really about evens out with the number of shots your gonna get out of a container. 3 pellets 777 and 120 Blackhorn. Not positive but I think I read somewhere it's not to far off.

Okay, so I currently use 100 grains of Triple 7 powder with a 250 grain TC Shockwave bullet. What volume would I likely use with the Blackhorn 209 powder?

I bought a 10 ounce bottle at Scheels for 29.99. That was about as cheap as I could find it.

CamoMan, I shot roughly the same loads you listed. I experimented with 120grains of powder and it was hotter than the 150gr of 777 I tried. I would start out at maybe 90 gr of powder since it runs hotter. They recommend no more than 120 gr of Blackhorn to get the same performance as 150 gr of 777!!! Let us know what you come up with.

somebody did the math on what it cost to shoot t7 versus black horn.including the price of cleaning supplies needed to shoot 150 grains of t7 it was right around $1.it cost about 70 cents per shot to shoot 120 grains of bh209.even if it was more expensive i would still shoot it given the ease of use and the shooting results!t7,pyodex,goex and shockey's stuff is obsolete!just don't use water or black powder solvent as it will turn your barrel to an unusable,uncleanable condition.also only use 209 shotgun primers,not muzzleloader primers.i also have been wiping a very light coat of lubricant around the base of my sabots just to provide some kind of friction reduction in the barrel.if you haven't tried bh209 you need to,it's awsome!

Top Bottom