Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blaster (Iowawhitetails poster child for safty!) NOT

Blaster

PMA Member
Well guys. We talk about it ever year on this site. Tree Stand Safety! You just never think it will happen to you. Hell iv been bow hunting for 30 years. I know how to get in and out of a tree! Right? Well as some of you heard this weekend. A hunter in southern Iowa fell from his tree stand braking his ankle badly! That hunter was me! I have always practice safety in the tree. It just takes one bad mistake to end it all. I was trimming a branch when my saw went across my tree strap cutting it and se sending me falling 16ft with my 9 year old son watching. Lucky for me I landed on my feet and not my head! I was trimming my tree to put my safety strap on the tree. If I would of been using a life line I would not be sitting on my couch right now wishing I would go check my cameras! For all of you out there. go out today and buy some life lines. Pretect yourself from the ground up and out. That's the first thing i'm going to do when I can walk again in 8 weeks!:(

picture.php

picture.php

So glad the injury is not worse. I have always been bad about tree stand safety. I think you are right, those lifelines really do make sense.

Oh Man. I'd rather gut 5 gut shot deer then look at picks like the first one. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up well.

Sorry to hear about your fall, glad you weren't hurt worse.

I bought a lifeline last weekend, hope I can get it installed on the stand without incident.

Dam that looks bad, hope it heals up good for ya.

I hung a stand this weekend and used a lifeline for the first time. There stupid easy to use, not sure why I haven't started until now.

I personally think one of those should be included in each tree stand you buy instead of a harness!

I understand Derek glad your ok. I've been there myself stinks to think how stupid I was and to be reminded every step I take the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Ouch! That looks painful, but I am glad to read that there wasn't a worse outcome...particularly with your son there to watch it. Yikes!

Great reminder on the lifelines...I have become pretty dedicated to making sure they are on all of our stands. Heal well!!

Glad you're okay. Take it from an expert on the issue and do exactly what the doc says and let it heal properly. I didn't as a dumb teenager and I feel the effects daily.
Did you get a plate and screws?
P.S. At least there's this to monitor and football and baseball to watch instead of gymnastics and tennis.

Man that sucks but at least you are alive to tell the story. Id hate for you to miss the season. If you want, I and i'm sure others that live within reasonable distance from you would be happy to help you set up a ground blind and wheel you out in the field.

I'm glad your somewhat ok. I can't see the picture. But I've got a plate/ screw ankle story also, "not treestand related".
I've been trying to tell everyone that will listen and basically yelling at those that won't listen. All it takes is one oops.
If ya ever need a push to a blind look me up!

Top Bottom