Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon credits

chadw

Carbon credits were discussed in another thread. New concept to me since we just purchased our farm one year ago. Anyone have experience or research to share on the topic?

I anticipate money becoming available in the near future for things like “carbon sequestration” and “offsetting Carbon credits”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently sat through a presentation from Truterra Ag, which is Winfield United's new carbon venture. A couple things stuck out to me:
- To get these carbon credits, it requires A LOT of documentation. You have to prove how much carbon your farming practices capture and retain. It will almost certainly require the use of precision ag technology. You will also have to give basically all of your farming data to these companies.
- To qualify, you usually have to agree to a 20 year contract. The farmer can get most of the payment up front, yet it is unclear what happens if circumstances change over the contract.
- All these credits are being bought up by Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, etc. so they don't have to worry about their pollution. That way they can claim to be "carbon neutral".

Just looked around for information on timberland carbon credits and came across the Family Forest Carbon Program (https://www.forestfoundation.org/family-forest-carbon-program). I would be interested in learning what restrictions they want to put on your land by signing up for these contracts.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this market emerges and evolves.

Great post and thanks for follow up info! Following this !!!!
From above “family forest carbon program” - doesn’t look like anything in iowa. They have PA listed & say it’s “only available in PA”. WI & Georgia are on their map but it says only PA eligible. Still reading ….

A couple of articles in the Iowa Farmer Today:

Top Bottom