Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedar tree removal

Did some research on this few weeks ago for this very reason. ERC is actually a Juniper and Western is a Thuja (as is the giant arborvitae). Neither are true "cedars" or cedrus.
Both are good for lumber, ERC is lighter and takes a long time to rot. Westerns grow to be very large and market for lumber on those in pacific NW is big indrusty.
Id imagine people stay away from ERC cause they are such a pain to limb out for timber harvest. Though there are lots of buyers in the Ozark Mountains of S mo and Arkansas
They arnt hard to delimb... you just need to buy the right tool! ;)

I ran a cedar log through the mill this afternoon. I was able to get a decent amount of lumber from it but there is a fair amount of waste getting one of these squared up.
Resized_20220409_170737_872649557651640.jpeg
Resized_20220409_174948_872662403955333.jpeg
Resized_20220409_174935_873125739453958.jpeg

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on frost seeding natives under cedar trees in say February and later going and cutting and mulching those cedars down? I’ve got some big patches of cedars I’m going to get cost share to mulch down. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to try to get some grasses going as the trees re establish

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on frost seeding natives under cedar trees in say February and later going and cutting and mulching those cedars down? I’ve got some big patches of cedars I’m going to get cost share to mulch down. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to try to get some grasses going as the trees re establish
Talk to your NRCS....I will be doing 3 different practices and getting paid to do it all
Removing the cedars, burning was is left and then seeding some sort of native mix along with shrubs

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Talk to your NRCS....I will be doing 3 different practices and getting paid to do it all
Removing the cedars, burning was is left and then seeding some sort of native mix along with shrubs

I guess I should've said that the removing of the trees falls under the brush management program

I guess I should've said that the removing of the trees falls under the brush management program

Yes I got approved for the brush management on mine. It’s not huge patches by any means maybe 2-3 acres total. Just wanting to see what everyone thought of the idea of frost seeding natives before mulching down the cedars. Only thing I can think of is a garden with mulch. Weeds still get through it obviously.

I haven't had any luck getting anything to grow through the cedar mulch. I've got spots I hit with a mulcher in 2017 that still have very little growing, i think a few thistles and a little fox tail is all that's made it through. It might work if the cedars are pretty small. Else, they make a lot of mulch.
I did frost seed some switch into a cedar burn this year. We'll see how that turns out.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
  • Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Did you just put the bucket down to fill the holes from the cedars?
Got them out without taking almost any dirt. Did a tiny amount of filling & smoothing. Taking them out “the right way” will keep vast majority of soil there. 1000000% better than a dozer which rips off the top soil. Mulcher, excavator, tree puller - all better than dozer IMO.

Top Bottom