• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Hunterra - Custom Hunting Property Maps

Cereal Grains and cover crops

HWC

2 questions
1. Just bought 5 acres adjacent to a big timber stand. It is currently hay. We close on Sept 16th in Southern Iowa. Suggestions on what to plant and where I can get the seed with this late of notice. Just decided to buy it 2 weeks ago.

2. What are the options if I don't own a drill? Do people rent their drills or what other options are there? I have a disc and a plow so I can work the hay into dirt if needed but starting to read more about benefits of leaving the dirt alone.

IowaBowHunter1983

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 questions
1. Just bought 5 acres adjacent to a big timber stand. It is currently hay. We close on Sept 16th in Southern Iowa. Suggestions on what to plant and where I can get the seed with this late of notice. Just decided to buy it 2 weeks ago.

2. What are the options if I don't own a drill? Do people rent their drills or what other options are there? I have a disc and a plow so I can work the hay into dirt if needed but starting to read more about benefits of leaving the dirt alone.
Can you get early access to at least spray it?

If you can get it dead you can spread rye and clover on top without working ground if you don't have a drill.

I would go with the grain blends based on your planting timing.

Seed can be found at most local Co ops.

I (Midwest Habitat Company) also sell seed if it's helpful and convenient depending on your location.

HWC

Can you get early access to at least spray it?

If you can get it dead you can spread rye and clover on top without working ground if you don't have a drill.

I would go with the grain blends based on your planting timing.

Seed can be found at most local Co ops.

I (Midwest Habitat Company) also sell seed if it's helpful and convenient depending on your location.
I won't be able to get in there early. Thinking I can spray on that Saturday. Could I still spread Rye and clover before spraying or do I need to let it die? If I sprayed Saturday, I could go down and plant on Tuesday, Wed, or Friday. It looks like you are quite a distance from me.

Edit: I do still have some RYE and clover from over a year ago. Would it still be ok to use?

IowaBowHunter1983

Super Moderator
Staff member
I won't be able to get in there early. Thinking I can spray on that Saturday. Could I still spread Rye and clover before spraying or do I need to let it die? If I sprayed Saturday, I could go down and plant on Tuesday, Wed, or Friday. It looks like you are quite a distance from me.

Edit: I do still have some RYE and clover from over a year ago. Would it still be ok to use?
Assuming they took a 3rd cutting the hay is probably pretty short.

I'd probably seed it and spray spray same day.

Reactions: HWC

HWC

Assuming they took a 3rd cutting the hay is probably pretty short.

I'd probably seed it and spray spray same day.
That's what I was thinking. Especially with the drought this area has had. I expect it to be pretty thin. Would year old grain be ok to get by with? I know it's not ideal.

HWC

Do you guys know if Monroe, Wapello, Davis, Or Appanoose rent grain drills as part of the pheasants forever chapter or county board? The county I used to live in had that option at one time.

If not, where would you recommend looking for a good deal on one that can be pulled by 50 hp tractor?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys know if Monroe, Wapello, Davis, Or Appanoose rent grain drills as part of the pheasants forever chapter or county board? The county I used to live in had that option at one time.

If not, where would you recommend looking for a good deal on one that can be pulled by 50 hp tractor?
Call the NRCS offices for those counties. I’m in a few different counties but all the counties I’m in will rent drills for $10-15/acre depending on county. Should have no issue & if they don’t have one- bet they know who will.

HWC

Call the NRCS offices for those counties. I’m in a few different counties but all the counties I’m in will rent drills for $10-15/acre depending on county. Should have no issue & if they don’t have one- bet they know who will.
Appanoose county conservation board got back to me and they don't have any. Not sure if NRCS is different from that but I will contact the NRCS offices around here on Tuesday. Thanks!

Slick

Why mess with the oats? Why not double up on WR in the RT mix? It seems to me that the WR germinates much better.

HWC

Planted the turnips and some big buck brassica 2 weeks ago. Never done turnips before. Can you tell what I have coming up in this pic? Thankfully we got just a little rain shortly after I planted.
20220904_111137.jpg

Tmayer13

PMA Member
Planted the turnips and some big buck brassica 2 weeks ago. Never done turnips before. Can you tell what I have coming up in this pic? Thankfully we got just a little rain shortly after I planted. View attachment 123078
Looks like turnips to me but tough to tell, the pic is too far away

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Tmayer13

PMA Member
A week after planting and 2+" of rain later....Oats, rye, Imperial Clover, Crimson clover and radish...should be a good plot

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
bd5c5c2585633d97b8330a8dd44a35bb.jpg

Jbohn

Tried Dlbtree cereal Mix into beat up clover plot !! Sprayed IMOX and Cleth let her eat . Skip said it will work so I’ll try once first time I’ve drilled it so see what happens .
35757c86fe4721c5227369abb3dcd2f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About this Discussion

Top Bottom