Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chainsaws

I actually own a MS271. It came with a 20" bar and green chain. The saw is far to under powered for a 20" bar. Took a buddy pounding that it my head for me to figure out. I put a 16" and yellow super chisel chain on it. COMPLETELY different saw.
I also have a MS170 baby saw. I actually like it alot more because of the weight and its much easier to girdle trees with a lighter saw.

I would say get the best saw you can for the money but make sure you ditch the green chain as the others have mentioned

+1 more vote for the Stihl "Farm Boss" MS 271. Right in there at the $400 price range. Run on an 18" bar, works well. 20" is no doubt too much bar for this saw. FWIW - Been using this exact saw for all our TSI / Cedar removal lately. Good all around size for cutting trees for firewood, etc. Very capable and versatile saw.

@Tmayer13 - With a 16" bar, I bet that thing can scream! :D

Now I just need an MS 462 with a 24" bar and I'll be set..

If u r doing tsi - no reason for anything more than 16” IMO. Bogs down less & u could take down a big tree with 16”. Not advised but very capable. I run 16” with full chisel chains. My 261 with a few mods + the chisel chain - take a leg off in a second. It’s fast!!! Wear those chaps + helmet & cut small & smart.
Really remember that helmet as I promise, every single person will miss a dead branch above that breaks free from cutting or vibration. Helmets are critical !!! Get em with screen mask & add ear plugs under them.

Went by my local Stihl dealer to pick up a full chisel chain, and they are all out, and unable to order any more. Stihl website same way.

Any recommendations on offbrand chains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went by my local Stihl dealer to pick up a full chisel chain, and they are all out, and unable to order any more. Stihl website same way.

Any recommendations on offbrand chains?

100%. Powercut chain made by Oregon. Best chain out there imo. Post your exact saw/bar combo and I'll get ya chain ID code. I order mine online.

100%. Powercut chain made by Oregon. Best chain out there imo. Post your exact saw/bar combo and I'll get ya chain ID code. I order mine online.

TIA
20” Farm Boss
f94e2ee5baa772532cc848b294e219e6.jpeg

TIA
20” Farm Boss

Part# 22LGX081G

You can find that part number on ebay, Amazon, or alot other places.

That will fit your current bar. I will say I would reccomend buying a smaller bar (16"). Unless your cutting giant trees and absolutely need a 20" bar, the saw will run alot better shorter.

I have a ms291 farm boss stihl that spends lots of time in the case ! I love my cheap little mcouluch a 100 fleet farm saw for tsi!! Nice n light!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Anybody have any experience using a top handle saw? I've been looking at a Stihl MS194T. I think it would be great for a limbing/pruning saw. I did get to run one with a 12 inch bar on a saw log just to run it, so it wasn't much of a real-world test.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has used any brand of top handle saw and if it is worth the investment or not.

We had a top handle husky at a city parks dept I worked for years ago. Great saw for pruning trees and clearing small trees, took down some 10-12" trees with it and it got the job done.

Top Bottom