Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chestnut and Dwarf chinkapin Seed

ironwood

I want to start some of each next spring and I was hoping to get some solid direction here. Also really hoping to get pointed towards the best seed source.

Would you plant American Chestnut or forget them and go to a hybred without risk of disease.

Chinkapins , would you consider anything other than the dwarf?

I know if I want seed I need to lock it in now.

Any help would be appreciated

I personally would only go with DCO's and direct seed those in particular if from seed.
For Chestnuts, I'd either do a 15/16th's or a Chinese. But that's my opinion. For deer, it's a great choice. 15/16th's will usually avoid disease from my understanding. Chinese of course will. Both are loved by wildlife.

Chestnut blight is in Iowa, so you may want to stick with hybrids or the Asian species that have some resistance. I have some American Chestnuts, so I guess I will see if blight ever attacks them in my isolated location, ones over 50' tall now.

I was told DCO don't like rootmakers. Best if direct seeded

CORRECT. DCO's I'd direct seed.
On the chestnuts, you know, I think I might consider just direct seeding those as well, imo. I like rootmakers and big advocate but I could go either way.
Guy on here sells DCO's coming up. Several sources for chestnuts, google em, I'd go with 15/16th's & chinese like I said. Cooperative 9 I think it is - I got some there before with good results.

Chestnut blight is in Iowa, so you may want to stick with hybrids or the Asian species that have some resistance. I have some American Chestnuts, so I guess I will see if blight ever attacks them in my isolated location, ones over 50' tall now.

Well, where are the pics?? :D

A 50' tall Pure American is very rare these days. Most likely, they will get blight, but survive and stump sprout to be producing chestnuts again in no time.

I'm with skip on the direct seeding. That is my preferred method come fall, less hassle and upkeep.

Rootmakers are fun to watch stuff grow, but don't leave on vacation when its 90 out or the seedlings will be smoked in a day without water.

Well, where are the pics?? :D

A 50' tall Pure American is very rare these days. Most likely, they will get blight, but survive and stump sprout to be producing chestnuts again in no time.

Very ornamental in summer when it is flowering, I'm sure not hard to spot in the canopy:
American-Chestnut-Flowering.jpg

I accept that may be the future, so I like to have some hybrids and Chinese ones, too.

Very ornamental in summer when it is flowering, I'm sure not hard to spot in the canopy:

I accept that may be the future, so I like to have some hybrids and Chinese ones, too.

You plan on keeping the canopy reduced around that tree and are there others there for pollination??

Top Bottom