Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chestnuts

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I just caged some recently planted chestnuts today. I am now wondering if I would have been better off growing these trees for a year or two at home and then transplanting them once they are bigger.

What do people think on this subject?

Awesome!!!!! I have great success with chestnuts in tubes. A bit of mulch & good weed control & they do great. If you lose any - I know a guy that pry help u get some more ;). I always lose a handful but done right, they are vigorous trees!!

plant em daver!!!! Sooner the better. I lose more chestnuts storing them than planted in field. Tubes, mulch, checking up & proper soil make them a very successful planting. They grow fast. Plant now vs storing.

I was going to hold some over until spring. I have chestnuts and dco's in half gallon pots from what I did from seed in the spring. I was thinking of burying them in the pot, cage in my garden so I could plant them as a root ball with their dirt next spring out of the pots. A few pots are root trappers and others are root makers that moisture should drain through. Think that will work fine or should i take them out of the pots holding them over in the ground?

If you put them in the ground in pots, etc - probably best case. Very similar to planting them so likely just fine. The times I’ve had issues on chestnut is keeping them in my garage. I’ve insulated them & kept moisture right & they didn’t do the best. It might have been that I didn’t insulate well enough & got too cold - froze roots too badly. Dunno what it was but several attempts like that had mediocre results.

As far as protecting the trunks...the tubes that I ordered came with a plastic/rubberized mesh sheath that was probably 8" long. I placed that over the tree, protecting the base of the trunk(whip), prior to putting the protective tube over the trunk.

I am sure that apparatus was intended to prevent rodent damage to the trunk. But how effective will that thing be? Should I upgrade to a screen or something else?

As far as protecting the trunks...the tubes that I ordered came with a plastic/rubberized mesh sheath that was probably 8" long. I placed that over the tree, protecting the base of the trunk(whip), prior to putting the protective tube over the trunk.

I am sure that apparatus was intended to prevent rodent damage to the trunk. But how effective will that thing be? Should I upgrade to a screen or something else?
That was for top of tube.

That was for top of tube.
OK then...it's too bad there wasn't a sheet of paper included telling me that. Harrumph.

I guess I will be revisiting all of these and changing that. Should I also add something to base of the trunk to discourage chewage? If so, what?

OK then...it's too bad there wasn't a sheet of paper included telling me that. Harrumph.

I guess I will be revisiting all of these and changing that. Should I also add something to base of the trunk to discourage chewage? If so, what?
I don't on tubed trees. Haven't had an issue.... yet.

You could try aluminum window screen?

I have found a few girdled trees with mice nests in them but it is rare when using 5ft, “slick” tubes…I would avoid the tubes with ridges as it seems those may be easier to climb.

Thanks guys. Will mice crawl under the bottom of the tube? My tubes are mostly flush to the ground, but due to slope, etc, there is definitely room for a mouse to slip under them.

Thanks guys. Will mice crawl under the bottom of the tube? My tubes are mostly flush to the ground, but due to slope, etc, there is definitely room for a mouse to slip under them.
I would say it’s very likely. So far I’ve been using one stake but have also been mulching them all because it helps keep them from spinning (kinda locks them in place). My hope is that they can’t dig through the mulch as easy to get at the bottom of the tube. It’s a lot of work to mulch them all but with the added benefit of moisture retention it’s worth loading up my 3 yr old to get loads of free mulch at the IC landfill, plus mama gets a break.

Would you guys say, that for wildlife, chestnuts are better to plant than oaks?

A quick google search tells me chestnut trees grow very fast, one site said 4-7 feet per year. That seems crazy fast, but really like that if that is true.

Top Bottom