Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Close Call Today.

Glad you are ok and just goes to show a person that a safety harness only works when you are tied in.

I am going to invest on "Life Lines" for all my stands. I will start with the most used stands and then add on as I can afford to. And will be buying all new straps for my hang on stands as well.

I am going to invest on "Life Lines" for all my stands. I will start with the most used stands and then add on as I can afford to. And will be buying all new straps for my hang on stands as well.

good idea. not to mean to hijack your thread jesse but I am wondering how often everyone on here changes their straps on their tree stands? I change mine every 2 years. It amazes me how quickly they can rot out and stretch.

Glad you had a much better outcome than what could have happened.

I'm glad you are okay......nothing like a close call to instill a little wisdom....been there. How old were the straps? I was just replacing some today that were about 5 years old; I'm even thinking of switching to light chains with small binders for a little more security.

Glad you are OK! I put a minimum of two straps on all my stands and have now for several years. I also am replacing straps over time. A few extra bucks can save a life, be safe guys!!

I take my stands down at the end of every year or when I kill one whichever comes first, then check all straps....I hunt more out of an api climber so me shrinkwrap lasts several yrs

Glad you are ok. I won't hunt a stand without a lifeline anymore. Don't wait until you can afford them, find a way to do it now as would be terrible to risk your life because you waited.

Just looking out for a fellow IW'er :)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
All 26 of our stands have lifelines. Nobody is allowed to hunt any of our stands without being hooked up all the way up and down. I absolutely love Deer hunting and nothing is going to keep me from doing it. Especially not a fall from a stand. My wife is the main reason why we decided to invest in lifelines. She's not a big fan of hights and it puts her at ease knowing that she can't actually fall all the way to the ground. They are worth their weight in gold. And don't forget linemans belts when hanging stands. Keep it attached until you can get a safety strap above the stand. There are so many safety products geared to deer hunters now it rediculs not to use them. Do the math guys. Most of us will spend a 1000 easy on a new bow. Lifelines are well worth the money. And insurance of having your family know that you will be coming home at night. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for the people that care about you.

Glad you are ok. I won't hunt a stand without a lifeline anymore. Don't wait until you can afford them, find a way to do it now as would be terrible to risk your life because you waited.

Just looking out for a fellow IW'er :)

Same, or just use a lineman's belt while climbing, then strap yourself when you get to the top and then unbuckle the belt. That way you're tied in 100% of the time.

You can also build your own lifeline's if you're concerned with cost.

This is the exact reason i am installing lifelines on every stand this year. I got my first 3 pack in the other day and am heading out to install them after work today. I have said i was goin to for years, but this year i will not climb a stand without one.

Glad you were able to walk away!

Aren't they just a long rope and a pursik knot? You slide the knot up the rope as you climb and just stay attached once in your stand.

Glad to hear you are okay man! I had one hang on slip last year, hung and hunted out of it. I was in it for about half an hour and shifted my weight a little bit and the whole stand dropped about 3 or 4 inches. Not much but enough to make my heart go nuts! I was tied off but still a shock. Stay safe out there boys, we don't need any stories about someone dying or getting paralized due to a fall.

You can also build your own lifeline's if you're concerned with cost.

Please explain how.

Buy some long rope, attach it to the top of your stand and at the bottom, tie a prussic knot and that is what you attach your harness to. If you buy a hunters safety system life line, you can see how easily they can be made. :way:

Buy some long rope, attach it to the top of your stand and at the bottom, tie a prussic knot and that is what you attach your harness to. If you buy a hunters safety system life line, you can see how easily they can be made. :way:

Wouldn't it be better to have the upper end of the lifeline tied off on the tree you are in about 3'-4' above your stand platform height v. tied to the stand?

Top Bottom