Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover Identification Help

Obsessed

All of you clover experts out there... My last cutting of alfalfa was super late this year. The alfalfa has gone dormant, and the clover has exploded. It's thick, lush and the only green thing for miles, but the deer don't seem to be eating it. Can you please help me identify what type of clover I have? I can take pics of it in the pasture too if that's needed for better identification. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Clover.jpg
    Clover.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 74
All of you clover experts out there... My last cutting of alfalfa was super late this year. The alfalfa has gone dormant, and the clover has exploded. It's thick, lush and the only green thing for miles, but the deer don't seem to be eating it. Can you please help me identify what type of clover I have? I can take pics of it in the pasture too if that's needed for better identification. Thanks in advance.
Thought it was alfalfa at first. You're sure it's not alfalfa? For a clover.... the closest it looks to IMO is a variety of sweet clover. sweet clovers have stems kinda similar to alfalfa and varying shapes of leaves, some of which do look like that. I very well could be wrong but looks like sweet clover to me. Which, if it is - it's not the most desired deer clover for sure so that would make sense.

Thought it was alfalfa at first. You're sure it's not alfalfa? For a clover.... the closest it looks to IMO is a variety of sweet clover. sweet clovers have stems kinda similar to alfalfa and varying shapes of leaves, some of which do look like that. I very well could be wrong but looks like sweet clover to me. Which, if it is - it's not the most desired deer clover for sure so that would make sense.
Yeah, it's clover. In the spring, it will get between 6 and 12 inches tall and then the alfalfa explodes out of it and shades it out. I'll take your suggestion that it looks like a sweet clover, from the research I've been doing online. Dang it. Either it was part of a foodplot mix that I threw down a year or two before I established alfalfa, or it's volunteer ditch clover that's gained a strong establishment. It's a little wilted this morning with the frost, but it should spring up this afternoon. This is a bummer because the alfalfa I have goes dormant at the first mild frost we get. So, my pasture is green now, but has no appeal to deer.

Top Bottom