Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
They've given you some great recommendations. Do you know what chemicals they sprayed on the plot? Was there any residual chemicals applied? I'm not sure if those would affect whatever you choose to plant right away. Just a thought.

They were supposed to be in spraying for the farmer who cash rents and he planted corn this season so I am assuming they sprayed roundup or something similar. I think we will probably go with the rye and clover mix in August. Thanks for all the help

They've given you some great recommendations. Do you know what chemicals they sprayed on the plot? Was there any residual chemicals applied? I'm not sure if those would affect whatever you choose to plant right away. Just a thought.

That's a good point. I've read some monsanto literature about RU resistant weed and the are suggesting a tank mix with 2-4-D. I have been doing that for some years on new plots for a good burn down and experience has taught me you had to wait at least 4 weeks after the gly/2-4-D mix.

I'm gonna guess they didn't spray just round up. It could be a combo of things but I'd plan for a combo of acetheclor or metolachlor (dual, warrant, etc) & atrazine. Atrazine will be in soil (a lot of variables) for couple months. Dual or warrant pry for 45 days. I'd lay $ on it they were sprayed but I very well could be wrong. Lot of options and ways to spray corn but all I'm saying is plan for residuals being applied. Plenty options for later.

Don't mind the grasses/weeds in these clover plots, they're just character. I thought it was interesting to see the difference in growth between white clover and red clover. That red clover gets much taller and you can see why managing a white clover plot is so much easier! Deer love both but for us, we stick to using white clover when we plant a perennial clover plot, deer hit that stuff 365 days a year, even in the dead of winter they scratch at what appears to be a dirt field to us... but the evidence is clear in the snow and when they leave their sheds behind!

11034904_10101074087631953_3937446673685716578_n.jpg

11351250_10101074087896423_1444009106819164056_n.jpg

We mow when it starts to flower or when weeds begin to get mature. As far as height for mowing, it depends on the weather. If it is wet and the clover is growing very quickly then we'll mow it down shorter, 3-4" I'd guess. If it is warmer and dryer then we'll just clip the tops of the weeds and try to not hit the clover.

I also have a few weak spots in my plot I frost seeded this year. If I broadcast some seed in those spots now will it take or do I wait until fall? Or frost seed? I do not have a drill so I need to broadcast it.

I also have a few weak spots in my plot I frost seeded this year. If I broadcast some seed in those spots now will it take or do I wait until fall? Or frost seed? I do not have a drill so I need to broadcast it.

Scratch & broadcast heAvy. Not a perfect method but it'll work. Easy & cheap. Pack or scratch in again if u can. If it doesn't work- do it again with late summer planting or frost seeding. Give it a whirl.

Deer love both but for us, we stick to using white clover when we plant a perennial clover plot, deer hit that stuff 365 days a year, even in the dead of winter they scratch at what appears to be a dirt field to us... but the evidence is clear in the snow and when they leave their sheds behind!
True! They were still hitting our clover thru late season & after.

spring planted clover, whats the earliest u can spray for grass and weeds? gonna mow first then see if we have to spray, any help guys?

Planted in spring? anytime. especially if you mow 1st and wait a bit on stuff to come back, that clock has ticked for a while now on establishment. Grass needs some growth to absorb clethodim (which technically a lot of guys don't mow 1st with that herbicide). but with that timing, your clover should be nicely established and able to tolerate a lot now.

Here is a first year clover plot planted on a clean soil bed last fall. I touched it up via frost seed this March. I tried something a little different to see results. Initial clover was typical ladino purchased from local co-op. For the touched up/frost seeded areas I used Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover (don't judge the buck-on-a-bag, I got it for ~75% off :) ). I just made the first cut this week.

1. Planted 40% of the plot via broadcast and cultipack in winter rye and ladino. This part of the stand the clover was about 4" taller on average than the wheat cover and about 6" taller than the straight frost seeding. It also wasn't as thick of a stand. I failed to get a good pic of the rye before cutting.

2. Planted 40% of the plot via broadcast and cultipack in winter wheat and ladino. This part of the stand the clover seem to do about the best, but was very thick which may present issues in the future.

View attachment 2971

3. Planted 20% via broadcast frost seed. This stand was pretty impressive as far as grass and weed control, I may have over seeded it too much because it is also very "carpet thick"

View attachment 2972

All in all I'm pleased with all three methods, most probably due to the wet spring. We will see how things evolve after regrowth, but right now I think the fall planted wheat cover crop will turn out best.

Here is one more pic to show the cutting and growth of the frost seeded section, it may not look like it but the cut side is about 5". I probably waited too long for the first cut.

View attachment 2973

As stated on here before, I just mow my clover, actually weed whip it. With the rain and cool weather my new clover plots look great! I do have some missed spots, as I just broadcast the seed by hand. Whipping down the weeds and trying to miss the clover works,. The weeds die and clover over powers them. I hoed up the weeds in my weak spots and threw on new clover seed yesterday into the chopped weeds and all. I am hoping for a rain on it tonite. Rain is into the -Ring of Fire- pattern already. Coming across Western Iowa and diving into MO. Hopefully tonite it gets farther East to my clover. Sorry for a little weather lingo in there. Overalll though my land is moist,,with over 6 inches in May!

Well it didn't rain on my clover replant last night. Forecasts fell flat. Didn't even rain in Iowa. Well maybe Sat night?

Got some planted up here in Michigan. Lots of rain these past few weeks so I think I am pretty safe planting this late. Used feed oats as a cover crop so the deer have something to munch on for a few months until the clover gets rolling.

What would you suggest for trying to establish a plot within the next few weeks. Mixing with oats and winter rye would both be possible.

Wanted to get some suggestions on how to deal with thistle in our clover plot. The thistle is terrible on our farm and we've been trying to spray all of the spots that aren't in our food plots. The stuff is a parasite and I am beyond frustrated with it. Anyways, we have a clover plot that was planted this spring. It's really lush and healthy and really doesn't have any weeds besides the thistle, which is absolutely terrible in it. Thoughts on how we could deal with it in the plot? Spot spraying or wicking are not options as we would pretty much have to kill the entire plot. At this point I'm tempted to nuke the whole plot and try to redo it in the fall because I don't want the stuff coming back year after year. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Top Bottom