Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Continuous vs. General CRP for Deer

treerat

Guys, I am planning to sign up 20 acres for CRP this month and debating between utilizing the general sign-up or the CP-38 continuous sign-up. With the continuous, you get better rental rates and cost share. However, my primary goal is deer cover.

The following mix looks like the best "tall cover" that qualifies for the continuous CRP:

<TABLE dir=ltr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=753 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=43>Mix: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.5lb Big bluestem, 2.1lb Indiangrass, .75lb Side oats grama, .4lb Switchgrass, .4lb Canada wild rye, .5lb Virginia wild rye, .5lb Little bluestem, .16lb Rough dropseed, .01 Prairie dropseed, .01 June grass [/FONT][/FONT]Forbs: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Blackeyed susan .85oz, Partridge pea 1.5oz, Greyheaded coneflower .9oz, Bergamont .5 oz, Seedbox .05oz, Alumroot .09oz, Prairie cinquefoil .02 oz, Culvers root .1oz, Rigid goldenrod .5oz, Golden Alexanders .5oz,, Purple prairie clover .3oz, White prairie clover .3oz, Pale Purple coneflower .25oz, Smooth blue aster .25oz., Showy goldenrod .1oz, Rattlesnake master .25oz, White or Prairie Sage .05oz. [/FONT][/FONT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

For the general, I am considering a CP4D tall grassland mix with a 25% block of 20% Switchgrass, 40% big bluestem, and 40% Indiangrass, and the other 75% planted in short cover of orchardgrass, timothy, redtop, ladino, and alsike clover.

I already have 10 acres in CP3 (hardwoods) and adding another 3 acres of CP3 northern conifers. I would love to plant the CIR switch discussed in Dbltree's other thread, but I have to replace the income from my current crop rental. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I would say the first mix is better for deer and overall wildlife IMO, switch will stand the best through the winter, where as big blue and Indian will end up falling over.

All those forbes are added bonuses for all wildlife. Especially deer, since they eat at least part of those forbes so you would be providing food and cover with that mix and you will keep the pollinators happy with all those forbes.

Crp

Personally, I have always looked to Continuous CRP first, as you mentioned better rates and more cost share, plus a bonus payment per acre.
Did you check the alternatives on the Continuous CRP plan---the 20 acres---what type of ground is it, you might be able to get a mix of both continuous and general?

Thanks for the feedback. The ground is currently in soybeans. I may have them run the numbers with the continuous CRP first and then decide if I should bid for the general practice.

I am also considering CP2 for the general sign-up but I am getting mixed responses from FSA/NRCS on whether I can do a tall grass mix that includes switchgrass. For the 50-point CRP score, the guidelines say "at least 3 native grasses and at least 1 shrub, forb, or legume". I think that should include switch, but I need to get it confirmed in writing.

I put in the cp38 a couple years ago (pays better) and just put some CIR in the small seed box to give me a little more switch for cover. 1# per acre on 20 acres isn't a huge added cost.

I put in the cp38 a couple years ago (pays better) and just put some CIR in the small seed box to give me a little more switch for cover. 1# per acre on 20 acres isn't a huge added cost.

AJ has it figured out...;)

Just add some switch on the side if the mix doesn't call for it...it's not that expensive to add it although most mixes do contain some switch...

Top Bottom