Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Contractor

How many of you here are in need of a contractor to fulfill management plan work on properties? Who would be willing to pay for someone to do management work for hunting, food plots, hang stands, etc.? If you know of people in need of these services, other than yourself, chime in.

I am looking at possibly starting my own business in this field. Just trying to see what the demand is out there right now. Thanks.

I'm a total DIY guy so it wouldn't be for me, but what a cool potential career or side job! That would be fun to do, I'm just not sure how much of a demand there would be for it. Other than liking to do stuff myself, I personally wouldn't want someone else all over my hunting spots. That's just me.

I posted this exact question awhile ago.. the thing I ran into that most people thought, that you would be on their ground, seeing "their" deer, etc etc. Unless you are in a high trophy area, I think most guys are the DIY type on this and would rather rent equipment than rent help to do it and them not..if that makes sense

I have done it for over 10 years now (sometimes it feels like a blessing, other times it feels like a curse! LOL). There is plenty of work if you are good at what you do. The biggest obstacle is investing in the equipment you will need to do the job right. I am well north of 140K in equipment to do all the services I offer. Tractors, skid loader, gooseneck, 1 ton pickup, Great Plains drill, bush hog, two commercial tillers, cultipacker, other flat bed trailers, ATVs, UTVs, commercial sprayers, countless chain saws, tree planter, the list goes on and gets longer every year. The key component to success is doing work for a few individuals who want to invest big time in their properties and maintaining that relationship over the years. It is really difficult to make it if you do a few acres here and there. It is like any other career, good and bad. Weather can kill you or be your best friend. Prepare to work like a dog from January through September when the fall cereal plots are in. Then you can take a break. You will need to charge more than you think. Liability insurance, commercial driver's license, commercial applicator's license, employee payroll, fuel, wear/tear/breakdowns, well you get my point, it all adds up.......and you better be good at repairing equipment out in the field on your own out in the middle of nowhere. Trust me on that one.

I used to travel for a side job...many times in the south. Louisiana, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. This type of business was common in places down there, and I always wondered why we didn't see more of it in our part of the world. I too kinda enjoy doing the work myself, but there are days when it's a royal pita! Good luck.

NWBuck

Top Bottom