Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote problem

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
75A116BD-7C9E-46C1-B35D-894DCA4B5A1F.jpeg
How many coyotes in this pic... look close.

2021---how do your coyote situations look?? Pretty bad where we are in my area, maybe not quite what is was like in this trail cam pic, but plenty.

That's crazy, at least 8 in that photo. Hate to imagine how many pups will join the pack this year!

I'm starting to have a coyote issue for the 1st time ever. I used to get a pic or two every couple years in late winter when they're breading but this year there here year round now and get pics a couple times a week and a few getting whacked on the roads nearby. Need to think about trapping again which I haven't done since the early 90's.

Do you guys buy into the idea that if you shoot a coyote, more coyotes come in? Saying it wouldn't actually lower your coyote numbers with moderate hunting. I'm not sure I buy into that. Seems like someone might be thinking too hard. If I kill a coyote, there is one less running around. At least for the time being.

Do you guys buy into the idea that if you shoot a coyote, more coyotes come in? Saying it wouldn't actually lower your coyote numbers with moderate hunting. I'm not sure I buy into that. Seems like someone might be thinking too hard. If I kill a coyote, there is one less running around. At least for the time being.
Huh? One less coyote = one less coyote. Even if one moves in from elsewhere, elsewhere has one less so the total is one less, Shoot them all!

So here’s the things I know. You’ll never eliminate them. Heck I know a guy who trapped around 40 in one field, all foothold catches, 60 acre piece of ag with one small creek running through it. There’s always more than one thinks. This being said usually there’s a territorial pair for a certain area where it’s considered their home range and they chase other coyotes off. Then you have the transients that only show up for a little bit. Why they are traveling. Only way they are going to become a territorial dog is if the win in a challenge or the previous territorial pair die. So then when you take out a territorial pair you open the door for the transients to try to claim it as there own. The other thing is population stress really affects the litter size of a female. So less coyotes in the area the bigger the litter. You’ll never catch up. Especially by hunting them. You’ll do a little better by trapping but still no where close as new will move in and the females will have bigger litters. If you are trying to help wildlife such as pheasants and deer the best time to hunt coyotes is during fawning and nesting seasons because not only will you be killing yotes you’ll also be bumping them out more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a study several years ago that said coyotes can sustain a 70% yearly mortality rate and still maintain a stable population.
The only thing I have seen knock down the coyote population is mange, it ran through my area 3-4 years ago and the population still has not recovered.

Top Bottom