Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyotes and Bobcats

sau15

Do you guys notice that coyotes and bobcats affect the deer movement? I’m assuming they do, my cams have gone silent except for coyotes and I think just one bobcat. I have 2 nice brassica plots that are deerless, not sure what to make of it. I hunt 200 acres of crp river bottom bordering 30 acres of timber, so I know there are deer around.

Deer hit my brassicas early if there are radishes. If not seems like only when it gets cold. I have had numerous trail cam pics this year with deer and coyotes in the same picture, I personally dont think the deer avoid coyotes.

Most likely due to them gorging on acorns and corn so they can fatten up quicker for the pending rut.

Coyotes started howling at sunset Sunday and the deer under my stand didn't flinch. Unlike when the neighbor shot....

Haha that's funny. They don't flinch around me with gunshots but half the field was cleared Saturday night when the first Coyote howled..

Deer haven't touched my radishes at all yet but first year I planted a large amount of them.

Coyotes started howling at sunset Sunday and the deer under my stand didn't flinch. Unlike when the neighbor shot....
I notice same thing and they were pretty close.

I've seen fields cleared by coyote passing thru and i've seen deer just stare at them and i've even seen a buck charge at a coyote and the coyote tuck tail and run.

Adult deer don't have much to fear unless in deep snow.
The presents of a bobcat shouldn't change their pattern at all.
I suspect something else is going on.

I've never seen coyotes having much effect on them. Many times will have deer on cam less than an hour after coyotes and I've gotten a ton of coyotes this year. Probably feasting on other food sources and freshly harvested grain right now

Brassicas usually are slow right now. Wait until a hard frost or two and they will get pounded. Move the cams to scrapes and off the food for a bit

I hunt in an area not known for Bobcats...that being said, I filmed one as it came across the woods, directly underneath me, and continued on its way. EVERY deer in the woods came blowing past me right before that, full out sprinting through, it was crazy. Never saw a deer the rest of the day (sat all day, but looking back wish I wouldnt have)... Now coyotes are heavy in the area, and the deer dont flinch at them.

I hunt in an area not known for Bobcats...that being said, I filmed one as it came across the woods, directly underneath me, and continued on its way. EVERY deer in the woods came blowing past me right before that, full out sprinting through, it was crazy. Never saw a deer the rest of the day (sat all day, but looking back wish I wouldnt have)... Now coyotes are heavy in the area, and the deer dont flinch at them.
Could the novelty of the deer seeing a rare bobcat have freaked them out? If they encountered them more often, would they settle down (like they have grown accustomed to coyotes not being a threat)? Just wondering.

Wow, cool footage Elvis. Anecdotally, I know someone who watched a bobcat attack, and kill, a young deer a few years back, but did not get any footage that I was aware of. I don't have a good idea of what percentage of deer are taken by bobcats in a year, but I know they must be getting some, as I see the remnants at different times.

I suspect that they would have a much easier time with a fawn.

2 years ago, my son and I watched a huge male bobcat chase 3 does across a road onto my place. We thought it was a coyote at first. It was definately chasing them until it saw us and turned and took off.

Bobcats are starting to show up in the areas I hunt (one or two trail cam pics a year), so might see something first hand one of these sits. Never seen one from the stand so far. Didn't think they were big enough to target deer, maybe why they pick on the fawns.

I never would have thought a bobcat could/would kill a deer until I watched these videos. That's crazy! Just imagine if UFC allowed biting of the throat. Little hundred pound spider monkey grapplers could compete against the heavyweights.

I had a den of bobcats (saw mom, dad and 3 kittens all together even) right on the edge of my best 3 acre food plot a few years ago. Absolutely ruined that plot for the year. Almost zero deer using it that year. I would see 0-2 per sit and then only passing through, never actually eating, when every year before or since i see 5-15 per sit.

I never would have thought a bobcat could/would kill a deer until I watched these videos. That's crazy!

Agree, wow! Luckily we don't have too many bobcats around. See one here and there, that's about it. Coyotes are a different story..

Top Bottom