Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cross Bows in Iowa....? I hope not

Say you can shoot 40 yards with a compound.. In 360 degrees you chan shoot 10,053.09 square yards. Shooting 70 yards with a crossbow you cover 30,787.61 square yards... Quite a big difference if you ask me

Top that off with the crossbow lobbyists in many other states saying it will increase the # of "bow hunters" (yes, I think it's just a short range gun but whatever) out there by 40%+. I get it, many might think that's a good thing. For Iowa, this would be a disaster. A disaster for mature bucks potential, etc. I'll admit, I feel like most areas I go to now are over-run with bowhunters NOW vs 5-10 years ago. Over the same timeframe, we've lost immense habitat from CRP loss & had major losses in deer herd with Late Shed Buck Season. If you guys take ANYTHING away from what I'm saying, you guys need to really try and understand how fragile Iowa's ecosystem is, how small it is compared to other states, etc. We do have a good thing now and it's recovering from some bad stuff. Do we really want to jeapordize & transform & constantly change this "good thing"?!!? IOWA = FRAGILE, please don't ruin it like Government & Lobbyists to do most "good things" out there.

When you can use crossbows in the Olympics as "archery" equipment or when you can show up at a IBO shoot and enter, or enter a buck in the record books without it having its own section it ain't archery. sorry it's that simple it's a game changer. Seen it first hand hate to see a great state like iowa fall with the rest.

The quality of Iowa bucks and amount of mature bucks will decrease dramatically if crossbows are opened up in our state. I could spend a paragraph explaining why & some data behind that. Happy to if you'd like. I'm sure many folks don't care if there's less mature bucks, our age class structure/balance is hurt & potential at trophy bucks or even old bucks is diminished BUT that's what will happen. If you care about that to any degree, you better hope crossbows don't come to Iowa EXCEPT for disabled/elderly. Happy to explain and back this up if needed.

And to the folks who want "more opportunity", "want to hunt however they choose", "open more seasons". Let's look at one example, of many that has had that happen - Late Shed Buck season. Which we thankfully just did away with because of the damage and hunter outrage. If you don't like that example but still like the above sentiment..... Yep, let's start opening gun season October 1 to January. Early Muzzleloader starting August 15 to October 1. Traditional gear archery season only, August 1 to August 15. Then, ya, let's extend a rifle season to March 31. Sorry guys, IOWA, very uniquely, is an extremely delicate resource with its deer. We have 5-6% timber, diminishing CRP/cover and not the #'s of deer other states have. We saw what one or 2 new seasons can do. We can't fool with a delicate system or it will be ruined like most good things usually are when government & lobby get involved.

Another legal method of take, not more or longer seasons. Trying to add that twist is apples to grapes.

Delicate resource? Hardly. Uncontrolled hunting is the only thing that has truly tested it in the past 200+ years, probably much more (like 10,000+?). I won't say that something new couldn't come in and test it, but even then, controlled hunting is the most likely tool to succeed in fixing, or slowing the problem. You want more deer, you harvest fewer does. Fewer deer? Shoot more does. Those strategies have been proven to work with over 100 years of data all across the US.

Allowing crossbows during the existing bow season would be an insignificant concern for us. I have no interest in using one but I would join any lobby that pushes for it.

Another legal method of take, not more or longer seasons. Trying to add that twist is apples to grapes.

Delicate resource? Hardly. Uncontrolled hunting is the only thing that has truly tested it in the past 200+ years, probably much more (like 10,000+?). I won't say that something new couldn't come in and test it, but even then, controlled hunting is the most likely tool to succeed in fixing, or slowing the problem. You want more deer, you harvest fewer does. Fewer deer? Shoot more does. Those strategies have been proven to work with over 100 years of data all across the US.

Allowing crossbows during the existing bow season would be an insignificant concern for us. I have no interest in using one but I would join any lobby that pushes for it.

Uncontrolled hunting is a disaster. Nature is cruel. Humans do have the capability to manage deer very effectively. Uncontrolled essentially means gigantic swings of population, disease, die off, destruction of environment, etc.

40% more "Bow hunters" in the woods would be a gigantic impact to Iowa which has almost one of the lowest deer populations & amount of habitat of the big midwest destinations (IL, MN, WI, MO, IN, OH, etc). That stat is straight from the Crossbow lobby, at least one of their "selling points". 40% more bowhunters, or 20% or 60%, whatever... And allowing them to be a heck of a lot more deadly at killing at greater distances with far more ease - YOU THINK THAT WOULD BE INSIGNIFICANT IN IOWA? REALLY?

Why don't we add shotguns or rifles to the bow season? Why would we stop there & why wouldn't we do it?

We've crossed the line recently where hunters screamed to the DNR- "YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR, PULL BACK THE REIGNS & AMOUNT OF HUNTERS OUT THERE/LENGTH, WEAPONS, SEASONS, etc!". So, we actually know where this delicate line is and thousands are experiencing the results of crossing it the last 5 years. As hunters, how isn't it easy to see how delicate this state is?

Say you can shoot 40 yards with a compound.. In 360 degrees you chan shoot 10,053.09 square yards. Shooting 70 yards with a crossbow you cover 30,787.61 square yards... Quite a big difference if you ask me

People on this board have discussed 60+ yard shots with their compounds, that makes them close to the same square yardage.

Unless of course you are like me, I have about a 30 yard comfort zone with both my compound and crossbow.

Exactly right CR Archer, Most crossbow shooters I know have a 30 yard comfort zone. I getting on in years and it's a matter of crossbow or no bow season for me. And what makes it right for a compound bow user to harvest a mature buck but if a crossbow user does it it's a bad thing? Myself, I could care less about antlers, But people who hunt only MONSTER BUCKS seem to think the heard belongs to them. I normally harvest one buck and one doe on my property each year. I allow others to hunt also and I set no restrictions on them, other than they must be ethical and lawful hunters.

Exactly right CR Archer, Most crossbow shooters I know have a 30 yard comfort zone. I getting on in years and it's a matter of crossbow or no bow season for me. And what makes it right for a compound bow user to harvest a mature buck but if a crossbow user does it it's a bad thing? Myself, I could care less about antlers, But people who hunt only MONSTER BUCKS seem to think the heard belongs to them. I normally harvest one buck and one doe on my property each year. I allow others to hunt also and I set no restrictions on them, other than they must be ethical and lawful hunters.

I like your thinking. There needs to be more individuals like you out there.

People think crossbows are these magical things that have no limits on how far they can shoot.

27 years with a compound and I hunted with a crossbow this year due to a shoulder injury. I have enjoyed the confidence that it has given me back in being able to hold on a deer. At least most people agree that those of us who need a crossbow should be able to use one :)

I personally do not see a greater advantage as my crossbow is cumbersome, heavier and noisier then my compound. It does have the advantage of being already drawn and having a cross hair scope (sight). However I have a crosshair sight on my compound also.

This debate will go on and on, but the tide is in the direction of the crossbow. Those that hate them were strong where I came from. Even when introduced for the handicapped, they made people jump thru a lot of hoops with multiple doctors and physical therapists to obtain a permit,,,but now they are an accepted part of the general Archery Season. In states where they are legal little has changed, The deer herds are not decimated, those that break laws will always break laws. For people who don't want to climb 20 ft up, to get out of deer sight, they are a blessing. Sitting on the ground is a blessing. Penetration with a CrossBow is no problem. Every Season there are stories after stories about wounded deer, where the arrow only went in part way and not thru the deer. CrossBows are not LONG range weapons. They are loud , clumsy and heavy. But they are powerful, and accurate at close ranges. They do use a bow and an arrow, not fire and bullets. They are ancient weapons, dating way back. When the young hunters start having eye and back problems in their later yrs,,,they won't hate them ,so much....

The point many, in my opinion, many are missing is that in Iowa, you start adding large groups of hunters with more weapons is delicate and detrimental. No one wants to address what happens when we toy with adding big groups of people out there with new weapons, etc. Exactly like when we've toyed with this with Late Shed Buck Season, Nov doe season, etc, etc. It really screws this delicate resource up.

Let's start with this PREMISE and see where you "PRO CROSSBOW" guys come down, honestly want to know... I have no problem with shotgun hunting. I do it. I have no problem with ML hunting, I do that too. Let's just say EVERYONE felt the same way - using guns is great. Crossbows are great too, we love the weapon - let's just all agree with that or pretend for a sec.
We have crossbows allowed in late season now so Crossbows have a place (I'm concerned this is a trojan horse & I will bet $ on it that if crossbows are ever legalized - it's due mainly to the crossbow companies & lobbyists stiring this up.

SO.... WHY NOT ALLOW SHOTGUNS DURING BOW SEASON TOO? HOW ABOUT MUZZLELOADERS DURING ALL OF BOW SEASON? Rifles? What would happen? We could legalize it, there would be TONS more people hunting, they'd have a "great time", legal, fun, rewarding, etc, etc. Why not? If we're adding new weapons, messing with our system (which apparently we disagree it's FRAGILE), weapons, regs, etc - let's add shotguns or ML's or maybe a single shot rifle to the other seasons. Thoughts?

My thoughts...

Cross bows are coming. The late season was just getting the foot in the door. The DNR will rubber stamp it. They want the tag sales.

They are an inferior weapon for hunting and I hope a fad that will pass. Except for those that really need to use one. Which someday may very well be me. I will be longing for the day when I had my bow for sure but still glad to be out.

I do have concerns about bringing more people into the bow season. Most of them are selfish.

Seems like your theroy is a little out there. Since when can you compare using a crossbow during archery, to allowing shotgun, rifle during the allowed archery season? You don't see group hunts during archery with people using crossbows. You will never see crossbows shooting out to 500 yards like you would with a rifle. I use a crossbow all of archery season and always will. I was granted the the right to use them with a lifetime permit from the Iowa dnr and it's going to soon be legal for everyone in Iowa to use a crossbow all of archery season. Never can you compare a gun or any sort to a crossbow.

As a nonresident landowner who already has to wait 3 years to get a bow tag, I think Crossbows will be bad news for myself and other NR. Why? There will be die hard crossbow guys from other states who will apply for Iowa now and hunt the rut with a crossbow.

It will probably be a 4 or 5 year wait at that point? Unless they issue more tags?

You guys are messing with something that could jeopardize your unique (exclusive November rut hunt) archery hunt.

Every kid should get a trophy right?! Nobody wants to work for it anymore. It's the way of todays world for sure. I'll fight to keep them out of regular archery season. BTW, usually the manufacturers are the only one's trying to legislate them into our seasons. Money, money money.......

See, the point was missed EXACTLY where I thought it was going to be missed.... I don't think it's an argument so much as to whether the crossbow and regular bow are both archery (which, no, I personally think the crossbow is just a short ranged gun BUT that's exactly what I'm NOT arguing).... I'm talking about allowing more weapons of ANY kind (whether you like them or don't like them) into an established weapon season. Or adding more hunters with other weapons. The point is, adding huge #'s of additional hunters, WHATEVER THE WEAPON, into any existing season can and will be detrimental in IOWA (and uniquely Iowa because, like I stated, we have such a delicate herd and state resource).

You might say Crossbows are like archery - I might disagree - so what? I say rifles are like sling shots or spears - you disagree - who are you to disagree, I think they are similar (even though I'm not being serious). Crossbow folks have almost as little to judge about shotguns as legit bows do about crossbows. There's groups that feel shotguns should be allowed Oct 1 to Jan 10th - who are you to say "NO"? Why would you? Come on, it would be LEGAL, it would bring more hunters out, good times, memories, bonding time, party camp, more opportunities, new hunters, revenue, etc. Is it because a shotgun isn't resembling a bow? That's simply NOT a good enough reason. WE DON'T DO IT BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW IT WOULD BE A DISASTER....

Why we can't support "40%" more bow hunters with more deadly weapons hunting a delicate balanced state resource. Why we had to do away with late shed buck season. Why 60-70% of folks (at least what I heard) were voicing their concern our deer herd was in great jeopardy in the last 5 years. Right or wrong, this is why folks go up in arms when the topic of letting the NR door wide open for tags. Then, before you get your feet in front of yourselves without thinking through... What will happen from the increased amount of hunters with ACCESS TO PRIVATE LAND? Do you have problems now??? (I bet most of you do!!!). Add "40%" more hunters during archery. Any of you have packed state land NOW during archery? Just wait (every place by me at least that's public is "plenty full"). You thought you had problems with access before, ha. Why the same folks who push crossbows will be up in arms when "hunting sucks". Have to throw a wrench in a good system every time, that's how our government & politicians work.

Last edited:
Every kid should get a trophy right?! Nobody wants to work for it anymore. It's the way of todays world for sure. I'll fight to keep them out of regular archery season. BTW, usually the manufacturers are the only one's trying to legislate them into our seasons. Money, money money.......

That is true!! Think of how many cross bow companies would have feature hunts in Iowa in November. The Outdoor Channel would be more Iowa than it is now.

If the result of crossbow hunting is getting more people into hunting, I'm all for it. Do you realize we are losing numbers in the outdoor sports. So we get more hunters and lower the number of tags an individual can get. There is absolutely no reason to allow one person all those doe tags and then say "Oh no we don't want more hunters". I say they can allow crossbows and still regulate the deer population.
It's like when they added the Muzzy season and everyone cried about all the deer that would be killed by black powder rifles.
The bottom line is you still have to be able to get into the whitetails world to harvest one and how many tags go unfilled every year.
As far as NRs are concerned I'm sorry you have to wait to draw an Iowa tag but I think our residents should be the top priority.

I guess my only thought to add to this is does anyone know of any ground that doesn't get archery hunted anyway.

Top Bottom