Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD - Already Out Of Control

G

Quite a few posts ago were some good discussions on CWD. We ran into this article in Buckmasters and thought it might be a good time to revisit.

Iowa Whitetail

According to Wisconsin, it takes 5 years to show CWD symptoms. WI biologist agree that CWD has been in the state for at least a few years. Iowa needs to develop an extensive testing system or it could be too late. Iowa DNR says they are testing road kills, but this is not good enough.

Wisconsin legislature met last night in a special session. Recommmended changes in the law allow for hunting from vehicles as long as you don't shoot across the road. Wisconsin is wanting every single deer to be killed in the 280 sq mile target area. Surrounding counties will have liberal hunting limits this fall, proposals include allowing the use of rifles during the traditional bow season.

If Iowa has CWD deer in the state, this is what to expect. Deer hunting will never be the same in a CWD infected area.

Would you eat meat from a CWD infected deer?

I dont think I would knowingly eat an infected deer , but how can you tell. What are the indicators? I heard everything from bleeding through the nose and mouth(which an arrowed deer would do) to running around in circles(which a rut crazed buck might do.)

Being from Wisconsin I am concerened very much about this. I De Bone every bid of my deer and do not cut through any glands or the spinal cord. I sounds like this desease is primarily in the bone marrow and spinal cord of the animal. I would highly suggest that all of you start requiring your butchers or your self to start deboneing your animals and not lopping off the heads when doing so. Wisconsin butchers are saying that their prices will go up $20-30 for having to do this due to the time it will now take to process the deer. I think that cost is nothing compared to what may or maynot happen if you start eatign contaminated deer.

In now way does this mean I am done hunting or eating venison. It just means that I will defininately look my animals over for any visible signs of the disease. Maybe even send the head in to have tested prior to eating any venison from the aninmal. This would entail markign all packaging for the perticular animal.

Just my 2cents worth.

OLETOM

I agree with the last post. I hunt in Wisconsin, but outside the CWD zone. My sister is panicking a bit - and they won't be eating venison in her house anymore. But this is coming from someone that won't buy hamburger in the store for fear of e.coli. Yup, she's a bit on the conservative side for sure.

As for me, I'll start taking extra precautions by de-boning out my meat and paying attention to the health of the deer in our area. The DNR will do sample testing, and until they find the disease in the area, chances are that the venison will be safe and the extra precautions add a little bit more piece of mind.

Its unfortunate people some people are demanding that every deer be tested. That is not possible from a logistical, sensical and financial standpoint. The ironic thing is that many of the folks throwing out their venison, claiming they won't hunt anymore, or demanding testing are smokers, heavy drinkers, and probably don't wear their seatbelt regularly. Go figure.

To Horst, and others, Just like a contract, you must read the fine print. They do not say it cannot be passed to humans, They say there is no evidence it can be past to humans. This to me is much like the argument the tobacco companies use to say about smoke and lung cancer. My guess is that in future their comments will change, and I hope it is "That CWD cannot be passed to Humans" and not "There is new evidence that CWD can cross the species barrier"

Now from what got out of that artical isnt it real likely that CWD is already in Iowa?If it showed up 100 miles from our border,yearling bucks can disperse up to 106 miles from where they are born, and it takes as long as 5 years for it to show up.Now am I taking that wrong or are those numbers kinda scary.

I am not planning any changes in the way I cut, cook, or eat venison.They say it cant be passed on to people from eating deer infected with it and I have to trust that untill they are proven wrong.Do you realize how expensive it would be to send every deer head in to be tested before you eat the meat?Especially if you plan to pay for it out of your own pocket.I think that would probably make beef look cheap.If a deer is acting funny or something dont look right after you shoot it the best thing would probably be to call the DNR and not take the chance of getting bad meat, and that would also let them foot the bill for the testing, not trying to sound like a cheapskate or nothing, i just think its their job and they will probably want to know anyway.just my thoughts on this
frown.gif

Buckhusker, Im well aware of the fine print but what is a guy supposed to do?Quit deer hunting, leave your deer to rot in the field?I know I cant afford to have even one head tested let alone every deer I shoot.And I sure aint going to quit hunting.

http://www.realtree.com/features/index.tpl?Display=Main&SKU=20020515084519

In this artical it shows that CWD showed up clear back in 1967 in a captive elk herd in Colorado.Its not a new thing yet in 25 years theres apparently been no case of it showing up in humans.I have read up on this before I posted anything that would even suggest that anyone eat deer near a area where this deasiase is present.And Im not trying to say people should do that.Youll notice I said if anything about the deer looked strange not to eat it, and to call the DNR to have it checked out.Other than that I really dont know what you should do about it.If you have any suggestions Id really like to hear them cause Im out of ideas.

You are right though they are still learning new things about CWD.For instance they didnt think it could be passed from a doe to a fawn she was carrying.Turns out it can be as a doe gave birth to a fawn already infected with it recently.So its entirely possible it could be passed to humans, lets just hope it doesnt happen
frown.gif

I would not eat the meat from a deer that tests "positve" for CWD.
I hunt the late muzzleloader season and if you remember a few seasons ago 4ft of snow 40+ mph winds, the deer struggled. I shot a nice buck who looked gaunt, but I assumed a tiresome rut followed by a gruesome winter had this buck mal-nourished. Was he?. We'll never know. Unfortunately with the 5 yr. incubation period, an animal which has contracted the disease only a year or so ago would probably show no signs of being ill. I would gladly check my deer into a check station, gladly pay for testing of random animals. Does anyone know the cost of these tests? Does Iowa, such as Wisconsin take such random test? Not that I know of. I personally do all of my own butchering and will continue to do so. I will gladly pay an extra $5-10 or whatever per tag for such testing. I think there are far more questions than answers, more answers will come as the disease evolves. Hopefully humans cannot contract it, we'll find out eventually. If we don't protect our animals mother nature may take care of the problem for us, in her slow, methodical, yet powerful own way.

Just think Glaciers formed the areas we now call hunting ground. OOOO! got a little deep there, sorry.
confused.gif

Just my comments
Pupster

The current CWD tests that are performed by the Iowa lab for the state of Wisconsin cost about $125. However, the USDA underwrites about $100 of that, so the state is only billed $25. At this time, a cheap test is not available. Wisconsin legislators are lobbying the Federal government to get them to allocate some money to CWD research so that a cheap, fast, easy test can be developed. You guys might be able to help by contacting your legislators and get them to help out.

Top Bottom