Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Question

flugge

Question for everyone- With the growing concerns of CWD everywhere, what are everyone's thoughts about the disposal of deer carcasses? I guess I ask, due to the trail camera photo is done on public ground in a county that has had CWD confirmed, yet they are stock piling carcasses in order for a "Trail Cam Tuesday" photo.
My thoughts are- Most people in this area are tossing the carcass in ditches because they don't have options to dispose of them. Could this be an issue and a way to ultimately spread the disease as well?
What are the best ways to dispose of them? Anything the state "should" implement to help curb this issue? Just trying to kick around ideas and thoughts...

Attachments

• 29060442_2138316836195454_8141234045245682271_o.jpg
    29060442_2138316836195454_8141234045245682271_o.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 67
I would get ahold of the DNR. They told me for the special hunts they had a dumpster available. IMO they should make that available all season. This is one concern I voiced with them after they spoke at the IBA banquet along with leaving gut piles scattered everywhere in the specific CWD zones.

The law states that all deer remains (carcass) must go to the landfill. This happened several years ago when CWD started to be a concern.
This is what I have to do and do it to be compliant with the law.

I was not aware of the law carcasses had to go to the landfill, when was that implemented? I put all of mine in a ditch on my farm along with all my carcasses from trapping and incinerate them.

I believe you do not have to go to a landfill. As I understand you can dispose of carcasses on your own property. As long as it is not a public area or public property IE Road ditches Etc..

I believe you do not have to go to a landfill. As I understand you can dispose of carcasses on your own property. As long as it is not a public area or public property IE Road ditches Etc..
You can probably dump on your own land. Thanks I stand corrected. This law started in the middle 2000s when they banned feeding animal by products to animals.

They discussed this at the Wayne county CWD meeting and said they were working to provide dumpsters in some areas. They also were working with local land fills to be sure it was allowed. Incinerating may not work as they said the prions could survive 1500 degree heat. My plan would be land fill first choice second bury them at our farm.

I emailed the local DNR, zero response to this point...I agree that there is no "good" answer..but suddenly it seems like that might be a bigger concern to help the spread of the disease than anything. Someone could kill an infected deer at deer camp in Allamakee county, haul it half way across the state and toss the carcass, then its there...not good... Another photo from their camera, they even have others with corn piles around the carcass pile

Attachments

• 29352193_2138316846195453_3132028404923408876_o.jpg
    29352193_2138316846195453_3132028404923408876_o.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 31
I emailed the local DNR, zero response to this point...I agree that there is no "good" answer..but suddenly it seems like that might be a bigger concern to help the spread of the disease than anything. Someone could kill an infected deer at deer camp in Allamakee county, haul it half way across the state and toss the carcass, then its there...not good... Another photo from their camera, they even have others with corn piles around the carcass pile

Terry Hainfield is in charge og everything CWD in the state. He'd be the one to email.

Question for everyone- With the growing concerns of CWD everywhere, what are everyone's thoughts about the disposal of deer carcasses? I guess I ask, due to the trail camera photo is done on public ground in a county that has had CWD confirmed, yet they are stock piling carcasses in order for a "Trail Cam Tuesday" photo.
My thoughts are- Most people in this area are tossing the carcass in ditches because they don't have options to dispose of them. Could this be an issue and a way to ultimately spread the disease as well?
What are the best ways to dispose of them? Anything the state "should" implement to help curb this issue? Just trying to kick around ideas and thoughts...
Do you know which state area this at????

The only time that a dumpster is available to discard of carcasses in Allamakee is during shotgun and the Sample Collection period. I would like to see one there through all the seasons. The company that has the contract for county waste disposal is out of Wisconsin and will not take carcasses. Wisconsin will not allow the carcasses to go into the landfill, as it has been explained to me by the employee working at the pick up sites.

I believe HF2166, if passed, could restrict the movement of a carcass out of a disease management zone. I agree with this, to help slow the spread.

The only time that a dumpster is available to discard of carcasses in Allamakee is during shotgun and the Sample Collection period. I would like to see one there through all the seasons. The company that has the contract for county waste disposal is out of Wisconsin and will not take carcasses. Wisconsin will not allow the carcasses to go into the landfill, as it has been explained to me by the employee working at the pick up sites.

I believe HF2166, if passed, could restrict the movement of a carcass out of a disease management zone. I agree with this, to help slow the spread.
If HF2166 IMO many things will change! Time will tell

Top Bottom