Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

December 29th Archery Buck

Woehlk

Aim Small Miss Small
I usually don't post many harvest pictures and sorry about the lengthy story.

I’m finally getting around to sharing the buck I was able to harvest with my bow on December 29th. My original plan for the evening hunt was to take out the muzzleloader and sit on a food source about 300 yards from where I shot the buck. However, while getting out of the truck I bumped my scope on the door of my truck. Upon looking through the scope I noticed the crosshairs were sideways and the scope mounts were loose, and I knew it wasn’t ethical to take out a weapon you’re unsure of.

Already being at the property and not having any tools to remove the scope left me with two options. Either get back in the truck and call the day a total loss, or grab my bow (which I had luckily kept in my truck) and sit a stand that would offer a closer opportunity. I quickly got my bow out of the case and went to a stand that covers an opening in the fence that deer tend to travel to and from the neighboring properties. After getting settled into the stand I was beginning to doubt my decision with light fading and little deer movement during the sit. With sunset approaching quickly I scanned the timber again, and saw antlers heading in my direction from the neighbors farm.

I stood up and grabbed my bow off the hanger waiting for the buck to walk through the opening. Not wanting to get nervous I kept my focus on standing still, and made sure not to look at the antlers until after I got an arrow into him. He walked through the opening and paused behind some brush allowing me to come to full draw to prepare for a 20 yard shot. With deer being heavily pressured in the area from shotgun season I knew I couldn’t grunt at him to get him to stop, and when he walked forward I took the shot which hit him back slightly.

The buck ran off through the thick briars acting as if he’d been hit really well, but I wasn’t 100% on the shot placement. I elected to back out of the property for a couple hours to give him time and get some friends to aid in the recovery process. Upon returning we immediately found good blood with the snow to track him, and after 60 yards we saw his main beam sticking up through the brush. Finally getting my hands on his antlers was when I realized just how big this buck really was. He’s my biggest buck to date with gun or bow, and is truly a blessing to fill my Archery tag with during late season.

That's a stud! Congrats! That is extra special getting him with a bow in the late part of the season too.

That's one reason to never give up! Great buck congrats. Score?

Thanks!
No idea on the score, but I'll find out for sure in March at the Classic. Initial taping would make me think High 150's to Low 160's, but it'll depend on how he dries and deductions.

and to think you would have never seen that buck had you not bumped the TC!!! This buck bought a parking ticket for the living room with a face to face transaction! lol crazy how things work out!

Congrats bud!

Top Bottom