Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Didnt expect this on my trail cam!!!!

I got to know the former Nebraska furbearer biologist pretty well after they collared a big male on our family ranch in the Nebraska panhandle. After they collared him he made a couple day trip to southcentral WY. Then the collar died within a few months (actually fairly common). The cat came back to Nebraska to get new batteries (lol) and was caught again near Chadron. New collar put on. He again made an immediate beeline to north central Colorado where he setup shop until the collar died again about 2 years later. The amount of ground they can cover quickly (and without detection) is absolutely mind blowing. Fascinating critters.

KCCI news last night said the IDNR is aware of 5-7 different ones in the state right now. So atleast 5 out there now, I would guess there are several more that have eluded any cameras etc.

So to my knowledge there have been sightings or trail cam pics in Van Buren, Lucas, Warren and Madison counties. At least 3 different cats in these instances. I don't understand how they can say we don't have a breeding population. All it takes is 2 cats and they say we have 5-7 known cats in the state now. Are they sure there are no females in the bunch?

So to my knowledge there have been sightings or trail cam pics in Van Buren, Lucas, Warren and Madison counties. At least 3 different cats in these instances. I don't understand how they can say we don't have a breeding population. All it takes is 2 cats and they say we have 5-7 known cats in the state now. Are they sure there are no females in the bunch?

Don’t forget Boone and Jasper counties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget Boone and Jasper counties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had not heard of these sightings. It's been hard to keep track of them all since they seem to be popping up everywhere. Definitely not an overabundance but more than just a stray wandering cat here or there. Could be much different if the article I read about their expansion is true about a possible breeding population establishing in Mark Twain in Missouri. If that happens cat sightings will be even more common.

Pretty sure they are all young males that have wandered from our west.

I don't see them lasting long enough in Iowa to breed even if there was a female. People gun them down pretty quick in this state.

I've never been worried about my safety while sharing the timber with predator animals. HOWEVER, the above video posted by 203ntyp has got my full attention. If you look carefully at the 0:21 mark, the cat has launched into full strike mode and will close the distance in less than a second. I don't know if the guy missed or is firing warning shots. That's another discussion. The likelihood is that if he wasn't armed, there would have been a funeral.

My family and I live on the land we hunt, so you can toss me in the "shoot to kill" crowd. These cats are cool animals, but I'm not risking friends family and over it. If given the opportunity, kitty cat is going down for a dirt nap. Jussayin.

Screenshot_20221017-130017.png

I've never been worried about my safety while sharing the timber with predator animals. HOWEVER, the above video posted by 203ntyp has got my full attention. If you look carefully at the 0:21 mark, the cat has launched into full strike mode and will close the distance in less than a second. I don't know if the guy missed or is firing warning shots. That's another discussion. The likelihood is that if he wasn't armed, there would have been a funeral.

My family and I live on the land we hunt, so you can toss me in the "shoot to kill" crowd. These cats are cool animals, but I'm not risking friends family and over it. If given the opportunity, kitty cat is going down for a dirt nap. Jussayin.

View attachment 123315
I'd have never let it even look my way if I was on the ground carrying a firearm, let alone wait until it charged!! If i had time to get my gun out im shooting! If it wouldnt have stopped charging at him it probably would have got to him. Idk where this video was taken and the laws about shooting it wherever they are though..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Idk where this video was taken and the laws about shooting it wherever they are though..
I think we can all agree there is not a law on the books that is worth a squirt of piss when your life is in jeopardy.

Sidenote,
I was supposed to go work on a guys furnace today. I sent a text to see if now was a good time. He said no, he was stuck in Illinois with vehicle damage after hitting a mountain lion on I88 last night. I said no way, pictures please. He sent them right over.

Screenshot_20221018-135940.pngScreenshot_20221018-135853.pngScreenshot_20221018-135918.png

Last edited:
A word of advice if someone does shoot or trap a mountain lion! Don’t let the DNR take the carcass until you have it skinned! They probably won’t like it but with no law against shooting one…. keep it till you want to give the carcass to them.

Now the story and its very true. A good friend of mine lives around the community of Brooklyn where a lion was caught in a snare last November or December. He went over to view the animal and him and several other guys pulled the skirt up and seen it was a female . The DNR came and the fella let them take the cat and said he would get it back after it was studied at ISU. After many days of calling and emails he was contacted that the somehow the skin went bad. They determined that the female did have a couple of litters.
Now the kicker the DNR did there press release and said it was a young male.
3A5E8D64-9B7A-4843-AFCB-3BAF577609C5.gif

So my friend called the regional manager and asked why did the DNR say that it was a young male. DNR response was we can’t say publicly that it was a breeding female and get the residents of Iowa in a uproar!
I could give names of the people involved but not going to.
Happy cat hunting!

I think we can all agree there is not a law on the books that is worth a squirt of piss when your life is in jeopardy.

Sidenote,
I was supposed to go work on a guys furnace today. I sent a text to see if now was a good time. He said no, he was stuck in Illinois with vehicle damage after hitting a mountain lion on I88 last night. I said no way, pictures please. He sent them right over.

View attachment 123319View attachment 123320View attachment 123321
I agree! I'd Have been scared sh**less if it was coming at me! As for the vehicle, that crazy how many have been seen lately, Hopefully got to keep it, looks like it smashed his car up pretty good

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom