Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DIRT WORK- SOUTHERN IOWA- ponds, clearing, etc.

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s my recommendation…. This guy has done 10+ projects for me. He’s excellent. Southern iowa area. I wouldn’t call him for “a day of work” but ponds & big jobs- excellent!!! He did my muck hole pond that turned into a gem of a pond. Has every big piece of equipment known to man. Excavator, big skid steers, dozers, etc. Highly recommended.
Dakota Hill- Dreamland Excavation…. (641) 414-2271
(Ringold, Wayne, Clarke, Decatur, Lucas, Union, etc, etc)
2A226B37-937B-4652-BECD-B3714231D9C4.jpeg
8E030072-E8BE-45DC-8EE6-F2D2D1EFAC3E.jpeg
3B566F95-9734-4142-BA72-146A8C34A03C.jpeg

427EF0AE-8CEA-475E-86B9-0A8E94EA508C.jpeg
6F9FDCCD-EBDE-4CFF-8FD4-A5C068316976.jpeg

What is the general price range to put in a pond say 1 to 1.5 acres? There is already a large hill and more or less water hill on our 5 acres. Have thought about trying to expand it to a real pond.

What is the general price range to put in a pond say 1 to 1.5 acres? There is already a large hill and more or less water hill on our 5 acres. Have thought about trying to expand it to a real pond.
Depends on the banks & how many cubic feet need to be moved to create dam. & pipe size. Pick a “great” drainage where 2 big ridges come together…. Could be 10-15 (total guess). Pick a spot where much harder, could be 3x that amount. & how much black dirt needs moved too.
If u get serious where u would pull the trigger. Get a guy out to give estimate. 30 mins a guy can laser it out, walk it & give u a ballpark.

Agree with skip. A lot depends on topography of the land and the contractor's abilities.
To add to that a general rule of thumb we use is a ratio of 20:1 which is drainage area to pool size. In a normal rainfall year in Iowa, it takes about 20 acres of drainage to keep a 1 acre pond full. Now if its a wet/seepy draw that ratio goes down.
There is a pond in our county bulit in 2013 that is suppose to be a 1 acre pool, but only drains 9 acres it has maintained a half-full capacity for most of those years. Just something to think about.
I would call up a contractor or 2 and have them take a look, and it wouldnt hurt to see if your NRCS office would have time to run an estimate for one based on the county's average cost rates.

Reactions: HWC
Top Bottom