Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Listening sessions 2020

Rjack

Received this email today. Check out a site near you and attend if you can.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 28, 2020

DNR to recap hunting seasons, discuss possible rule changes at public meetings across the state
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting a series of town hall-style meetings where local staff will provide updates on recently completed hunting seasons, discuss possible changes to hunting rules and regulations, and address other topics as requested.

“We want people to come out to these meetings, listen to the hunting seasons reviews, ask questions and hear directly from our staff,” said Todd Bishop, chief of the Iowa DNR’s Wildlife Bureau. “Part of the meeting will be devoted to discussing potential rule changes and collecting feedback as we work through the rules process.”

The meetings are open to the public. Comments collected from these public meetings will be considered along with other related comments received by the Iowa DNR prior to proposing changes to hunting rules and regulations. Proposed rules will be presented to the Natural Resource Commission during a regular public meeting for consideration and additional public comment.

These meetings replace the one-night listening session held in late winter over the past 15 years.

Meeting date, time and location

Sioux City, Feb. 19, 7 p.m., Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center, 4500 Sioux River Road

Chariton, Feb. 20, 7 p.m., Pin Oak Lodge, 45996 Hwy. 14

Council Bluffs, Feb. 25, Fish and Game Club, 531 Commanche Street

Okoboji, Feb. 25, 6:30 p.m., Dickinson County Nature Center, 22785 Nature Center Road

Burlington, Feb. 26, 7 p.m., Starr's Cave Nature Center, 11627 Starr's Cave Road

Iowa City, Feb. 26, 7 p.m., Johnson County ISU extension building, 3109 Old Highway 218 South (search “Johnson County Fairgrounds”)

Algona, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Water’s Edge Nature Center, 1010 250th Street

Bloomfield, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Pioneer Ridge Nature Center, 1339 Hwy. 63

Creston, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Multi-Purpose Room adjacent to the YMCA, Southwestern Community College, 1201 West Townline Street

Decorah, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Decorah City Hall, 400 Clairborne Drive

Dubuque, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Swiss Valley Nature Center, 13606 Swiss Valley Road, Peosta

Jefferson, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., The Jefferson Depot, 509 East Lincoln Way

Ventura, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Clear Lake Wildlife Unit headquarters, 15326 Balsam Ave.

Waverly, Feb. 27, 7 p.m., Waverly Public Library, 1500 W Bremer Ave.

Des Moines, March 3, 7 p.m., Izaak Walton League, 4343 George Flagg Parkway

DeWitt, March 5, 7 p.m., DeWitt Community Center, 512 10th Street

Sac City, March 5, 7 p.m., Sac County Conservation Center at Hagge Park, 2970 280th Street

Toledo, March 5, 7 p.m., Tama CCB Nature Center at Otter Creek Lake Park, 2283 Park Road

Any person attending the public meeting and has special requirements, such as those related to mobility or hearing impairments, should contact the Iowa DNR or ADA Coordinator at 515-725-8200, Relay Iowa TTY Service 800-735-7942, or [email protected], and advise of specific needs.

Eliminate all non-resident deer tags ;)

In the past it has been the DNR asking for what the attendees would like to see changed rather than the DNR proposing specific changes.

Waterfowl, deer and turkey usually dominate the conversation.

I am not the DNR - just passing along info so people who care know they have an avenue to share their opinions.

I went to one but don’t feel the need to ever attend one again. You can voice your opinion but don’t fool yourself thinking its ever going to make a difference in the scheme of things. Kind of like most politics these days. Half the people it seemed from the sites wanted high powers and crossbows but blood tracking dogs are the end of deer hunting because everyone will start trespassing and run the deer off your farms. I wanted to slap some people.

Last edited:
Chip, I agree they can be frustrating. But if voices of reason don't show, all the DNR hears are the other voices.

I do believe these sessions were the main reason the shed buck season was eliminated a few years ago. Now, it is back - but very limited to what it once was.

Like Chip, I left the last meeting I attended feeling that I wanted that time back. I went in with a “deer hunting” mindset and was bored by the waterfowlers questioning why seasons were set as they are (feds controls migratory). I did get my $0.02 in on deer topics, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have a sight close enough to me anymore for me to go to what is basically hunter complaining and the DNR trying to explain and defend itself. They don't have any real authority on the rule making anyway.

I don't blame the DNR for much. For the most part I think they do as good a job as the legislature will let them.

Agreed...The DNR tends to get all the hate for dumb legislative decisions. Lots of great folks do great work within the DNR. I can't imagine all the idiots they get to deal with on a daily basis. If you want to make a difference you need to not only show up to these meetings, but more importantly call your state representatives. If you do nothing you have no one to blame but yourself for negative changes to wildlife management in the state.

Agreed...The DNR tends to get all the hate for dumb legislative decisions. Lots of great folks do great work within the DNR. I can't imagine all the idiots they get to deal with on a daily basis. If you want to make a difference you need to not only show up to these meetings, but more importantly call your state representatives. If you do nothing you have no one to blame but yourself for negative changes to wildlife management in the state.

BEST REPLY EVER

Were last year's meetings spread out over several days? If I remember correctly they were all the same night. Maybe a different format?

I'm about the most cynical person in the world, but I still believe in trying to make a difference. My favorite tee shirt, besides the Far Side "Bummer of a birthmark Hal" is "I'm not cynical, I'm just experienced".

Last year was this same format. Prior to that it was all in one night using the ICN so everyone heard from all the other sites. This new format is better in my view.

These meetings are a great way to meet your local officers, hear what’s trending, get detailed statistics on harvest reports. I’ve found these meetings to be well worth my time.

Top Bottom